Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

Saw this at a historic cemetary at the Delaware Water Gap NRA. Wife died at 32 after having 6 sons. Clayton died at 6, Harold at 1 or younger, Harry at 8, Jay at 1, Arthur at 16 & Hiram finally who actually lived to 83. A lot of tragedy for 1 family!!

216A9081.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

this critter was on the side of the road during some minor flooding in the bear paw mountains. If anyone has any idea what it is please comment. My mammal field guide doesn't show any voles with a pink tail. The size was slightly larger than my fist.

DSC_5859a.jpg

DSC_5862a.jpg

• Like 6

Saw this little flower here in the Mojave desert. One of the rare times I had my camera bag with a macro lens in it. This  was shot with a vintage 1982 Minolta 35-105  MD mount  that has a macro. It is all manual, adapted to my Sony A7ll. This flower is about 1" diameter.

These old Minolta lenses are very good and don't cost much.

DSC02628 1.jpg

DSC02625 1.JPG

• Like 10

Spent Mother's Day on the Gulf Coast with family. Did a bit of snorkeling in low tide near a key. This Polka dot-Batfish was found by a young man about 10 yrs. old and pointed out to me. This fish can walk on land I'm told. Super cool find. This snorkeling with an underwater camera thing is so fun. I can't wait to get back out there.

20220101_012915A.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 1:08 AM, jayD said:

this critter was on the side of the road during some minor flooding in the bear paw mountains. If anyone has any idea what it is please comment. My mammal field guide doesn't show any voles with a pink tail. The size was slightly larger than my fist.

Nutria. Also called Coypu.

ETA: Having second thoughts. Would definitely be small for a Nutria.

Edited by Greyhawk
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2024 at 2:08 AM, jayD said:

DSC_5859a.jpg

DSC_5862a.jpg

Pocket Gopher?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Brunswick County, southeastern coastal NC.  28 May 24.

Our new neighborhood has a volunteer who cleans up under the bird feeders a couple of times a week.  He / she wanders the 30 feet or so from the salt marsh to the feeder pole, scarfs up any sunflower seeds or peanuts, then either moseys back into the spartina or climbs a tree.

image.thumb.png.4ab9d0d5d1b6a9fa504a1bfd36bfd5ad.png

And yes, you're darn tootin' there's a baffle on the pole!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have gotten in the habit lately of leaving my aging tripod out on the porch where it gets most of it's use. When it's not in use, I just close up the legs and tuck it in beside my chair. It was Monday afternoon when MJ pointed out that there were spiders on the tripod. These cell phone photos show only a small portion of the spiders that I had to relocate, the biggest cluster was tucked up out of sight until I disturbed them, Luckily I had separated the web from the post and moved the tripod away from the porch before the mass of spiders exploded all over the place.

Spider1.thumb.jpg.bb14b680dcdbd0f5bac21ce02058ec23.jpg

20240527_164347.thumb.jpg.f2edd1e76433cb62b9a435763d9a3447.jpg

Here's a shot of some the spiders after the tripod got dragged through the long weeds.

DL6A2406.thumb.jpg.5f4e951b5a385fb18854c39241b38e20.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chris Clem said:

Like Lonestranger, I also leave my cheap tripod outside.

This Green Mojave Rattlesnake seem to like it.......Yikes........This is like 20ft from my house.

DSC02711 Green Mojave Rattlesnake.JPG

My creepy crawling spiders don't seem so bad in comparison. There's a lot more of them on my tripod and they were a lot closer, but your's is a lot scarier.

• Like 1

While watching the House Wens in our front yard from a window, I spotted this little fawn. The doe was in the backyard in our wildflower garden. She must have tucked her little one in the ground cover before heading to the wildflowers. I really wanted to pet this darling fawn, but I resisted.

6.12.2024 Fawn DSC_0855.jpg

6.12.2024 Fawn DSC_0881.jpg

• Like 8

On 4/28/2024 at 9:21 PM, stitch58 said:

Saw this at a historic cemetary at the Delaware Water Gap NRA. Wife died at 32 after having 6 sons. Clayton died at 6, Harold at 1 or younger, Harry at 8, Jay at 1, Arthur at 16 & Hiram finally who actually lived to 83. A lot of tragedy for 1 family!!

216A9081.jpg

Arthur died in 1918 at 16 yo....WWI?