Whatbird Community

The "Other" things you see when Birding

Well that was weird, when I clicked the second link, the Sea otter page loaded. When I clicked it a second time, the Sea Otter page loaded and then a River Otter pop-up photo appeared that I didn't see the first time. I'm not sure if it's me, my computer, or this website, but some weird things have been going on lately. :classic_unsure: 

2 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

This is the first hot day we’ve had for a while here in Michigan, a toasty 37 degrees!

What are you talking about? That's a cold front, here.

2 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

It was 19 degrees Fahrenheit here yesterday. I'm jealous! Could you send a sealed box of that 80 degree air up to me?

Sure, as long as I can send the 100+ weather we get most of the summer.

Nature is just full of surprises😲 Case in point how about a 6 inch wasp known as "Mega"hyssa Macrurus. Found this gal at Cherry Creek State Park in Colorado June 2014. Two inches of body and 4 inches of ovipositor. The ovipositor isn't used to sting it is used to lay eggs inside dead wood. This is the only one of these wasps I have ever seen.

014.JPG

026.JPG

• Like 8

Instead of other things you see while out birding today is cool things you find out birding. I found all the bottles pictured below over time in Colorado all while out birding. The oldest furthest right dates back to the early 1900s and contained Mineral water popular at the time for use as a laxative . The rest all date to the 1930s. The small one on the left was a Hires Root Beer syrup bottle for making root beer at home just add to sparkling water. The small jar is a 1930s Vaseline jar. Next in line is a 1930 Colgate perfume bottle. The remaining bottles I was unable to determine what they contained but did find patent information to date them. I sold all these bottles before moving from Colorado to Florida. None were worth much but you never know so keep your eyes open. I have also found a few antique glass electric insulators. I probably have photos of them too I just don't know where they are in the tons of photos I have. If I run across them in the near future I will share them here. One other thing I would find often in Colorado were antique square head nails. 

So far here in Florida I have only found one antique goody which I will post soon. It isn't very valuable yet I feel like it was probably a once in life time find.

What cool items have you found out birding?

006.JPG

• Like 2

Other things I have found while out birding-I found this antique Glass Fishing Float washed up on a beach in Duval County, after some storms in the Atlantic Ocean. From the Clover Leaf mark on it, I was able to determine that is was manufactured in Germany by Heye Glass who started making glass fishing floats around 1910. These glass fishing floats are highly collectible and can sell from any where from $11.00 to over $4000.00 depending on the rarity and condition of the float. There is not nearly as much information on floats found in the Atlantic as there is the Pacific. Apparently glass fishing floats are still in use in Japan so these fishing floats are found often on the west coast of the U.S. Of course, there is no way to tell for sure how long the one a found had been floating around in the ocean but judging by the surface and the barnacles it had collected before I clean it up I would say it had been out there a long time. If you would like more information on glass fishing floats here is a link:    https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Antique+Glass+Fishing+Floats&atb=v106-1&ia=web Most people would have passed by this float without thought but I instantly recognized for it what it was as I had found another in a dried up lake bed in Colorado once before. That one was severely damaged however and I threw it away. So while the birders living near coast lines are more likely to find one of these it is not impossible for inland birders to find one. Every time my husband and I go to the beach I keep an eye out but especially after storms. 

028.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Whenever I see a rattlesnake I don't stick around long enough to get a photo

The Timber Rattler we saw was crossing the road, so we  (my son and I) stopped and got out. After snapping a few photos I gently shooed it off the road so it wouldn't get run over. I think snakes of all kinds are cool critters!

• Like 2

Prairie Rattle Snake from Last Chance Colorado in 2015. Myself and two fellow birders saw 3 of them this fall day sunning themselves on some cement slabs. This was the only time I found Prairie Rattlesnakes in all my time birding Colorado. 

111.JPG

• Like 3

Johnd's post above of a Robber Fly is a great example of how other insects mimic bee coloration. Picture below is a beetle mimicking the coloration of a bee. I do not recall the species on this one so if anyone else knows please let me know.  Photo taken in 2016 in the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Denver, CO.

072.JPG

• Like 2