Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Colton V

Can this warbler be identified?

Saw this warbler in mid-June at a nature park in Portland, OR. Sorry for the terrible photos, wouldn’t be surprised if an ID is impossible from these photos. I initially reported it as a Yellow Warbler but I think that might be wrong. 

B795A9F0-9211-4233-95C5-9F574C55B3C6.jpeg

A8DE36EA-AF2C-4C63-80AC-3B86CCEFB36F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Phalarope713 said:

it’s hard to tell with these pics. 

Yeah, sorry about that. This bird would NOT come out of the bushes, and these were the only pics I could get.

Yellow is ruled out by the lack of yellow fringing on the wing feathers and the bird's dull legs. Those same legs, both dull and thin, should rule out Common Yellowthroat (and any other member of Geothlypis). I'd go with Orange-crowned.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Yellow is ruled out by the lack of yellow fringing on the wing feathers and the bird's dull legs. Those same legs, both dull and thin, should rule out Common Yellowthroat (and any other member of Geothlypis). I'd go with Orange-crowned.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Agree with OCW. In Texas most of ours have a very thin white streak along the lower edge of the wing (like a White-winged Dove). This bird shows that, although very faintly.

10 minutes ago, Unirok said:

Agree with OCW. In Texas most of ours have a very thin white streak along the lower edge of the wing (like a White-winged Dove). This bird shows that, although very faintly.

Welcome the forum, fellow Texan!