Whatbird Community

How is your 2020 year list?

How many species have you seen so far this year?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How many species have you seen so far this year?

It's officially August, which means summer is starting to wrap up, and we only have a handful of months left in the year. I'm curious how everyone is doing on their year lists, and where you think you'll be at the end of the year, as well as how much you've traveled across the country.

For me, I'm currently in the low 300's, but I'm hoping to get around 370ish or if I'm lucky close to 400 by the end of the year. This is in large part because I was living in Arizona for the first 6 months of the year, but I'm back in the midwest and will be until the end of the year, so with September and August coming up I'm excited to get all my eastern migrants on the list, and hopefully scoop up some winter specialties up north towards the very end of the year!

This year hasn’t been too great for me, but I’m at 362 right now. I hope I’ll be able to get up to 400 by the end of the year. I was able to get to the east coast before COVID got bad, so at least I got some variety. I missed a good amount of birds in the winter, so hopefully I can pick those up. I am at 222 for my county for the year , so that’s pretty good. I’m at 378 for the world. I left Mexico on Jan 2nd so I didn’t have much birding time this year there. 

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

This year hasn’t been too great for me, but I’m at 362 right now. I hope I’ll be able to get up to 400 by the end of the year. I was able to get to the east coast before COVID got bad, so at least I got some variety. I missed a good amount of birds in the winter, so hopefully I can pick those up. I am at 222 for my county for the year , so that’s pretty good. I’m at 378 for the world. I left Mexico on Jan 2nd so I didn’t have much birding time this year there. 

Yeah, being able to get to both coasts really helps bump up those numbers. I haven't made it to either this year and there's a huge swath of species that I just can't get, realistically.

Edited by Benjamin

I thought I was at 289, but turns out that’s for my life list not 2020 so ignore my vote, whoops!

I guess I’m at 230 so far, so I’m sure I’ll get to 289 eventually (knock on wood). Hope to get to 300 by the end of the year. I only joined eBird last July, so this is my first real year with it so don’t know if I’m doing good or bad, comparatively.

I’ve been waking up at sunrise and doing my 2 hour hike around the last two days, hoping to add anything, but so far nothing new. There’s a place not too far away (Salmon Arm Bay in B.C., anyone?) that I know I could easily add 10+ species in 20 minutes, but we’ll see if I make it there. For now I just look at the eBird hotspots  daily and dream.....

I was lucky to be in Costa Rica the first week of January which certainly helped. Other than that I’ve been out in the mountains in Alberta twice, stayed around in Calgary, and have been to Shuswap Lake B.C sporadically throughout the year. I’m planning on being there for September and October so excited to see what I can add to the species list as I’ve never been there for migration. I’m currently there now for the next couple weeks, but August is always very slow bird wise here, though certainly still lots that I haven’t seen.
I’m supposed to go back to Costa Rica at the end of December which would certainly help, but don’t know if that’s going to happen! Also might travel to the B.C. coast sometime this month, but not sure.

Still trying to add a few common species such as a Belted Kingfisher this year so don’t know what that’s about ?

• Like 1

I'm at 283 currently. I've been to the California coast, the Great Salt Lake, and all over Idaho. In a couple weeks I'm leaving for Pennsylvania for the next few months so I'm hoping to get over 300. (I don't even have Blue Jay yet :classic_laugh:)

Edited by Melierax
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:51 AM, The Bird Nuts said:

There is no option for 100-150.  ?   I'm boring and I don't travel much and I don't really keep track, but on eBird I have 124.

I'm stuck in the same boat as The Bird Nuts :classic_cool:  101 here - but 91 of those are within the county and 32 of those in my own town lot. Most of my lists are wherever I happen to be parked for lunch that day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SirVive said:

I'm stuck in the same boat as The Bird Nuts :classic_cool:  101 here - but 91 of those are within the county and 32 of those in my own town lot. Most of my lists are wherever I happen to be parked for lunch that day.

That is me too! Lunch time birding ?