Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cerse

Trying to attract RubyThroated Hummingbird

I live in the Northern part of New Jersey and I'm trying to attract the Rubythroated Hummingbird. I have a hummingbird feeder out mixed with a 4/1 ratio of water to sugar and I recently just planted a Trumpet vine nearby (although it hasnt produced any flowers yet). What else can I do or am I wasting my time in this area?

@Cerse, welcome to Whatbird!  If you didn't already know, Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds are the only species we see reliably in the eastern US.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruby-throated_Hummingbird/

How long has your feeder been out?  it may take a few weeks.

Make sure you change the liquid often, esp when you're trying to attract them initially.  Every three or four days is best.  Don't fill the feeder more than halfway until you get their attention; otherwise you're just throw it out.  The liquid will also stay fresh longer if you can hang it where it is in shade at least part of the day.  If you visited a new restaurant and the food was spoiled, would you come back?

Try getting some cheap red ribbon; check the wrapping paper aisle.  Tie a half dozen pieces about six inches long on branches or other objects within a several feet of the feeder.

You don't say what the environment is around your feeder.  Hummies and most other birds often prefer to perch where they can check the area for predators or rivals before they approach a feeder.  If there are no natural or man-made perches within a dozen feet or so, it may take longer to attract them.

Change the liquid every few days and give it some time. Birds are creatures of habit, and the hummies that have spend the summer in northern NJ may spend their remaining weeks visiting the established feeders they already know about.  Why look for new food sources when you already have reliable ones?   But they're  going to start migrating in a few weeks.  Those birds that have spent the summer further north will be moving through, and they don't know the area.  They'll be looking for food sources, and your feeder has as much of a chance of drawing their attention as the existing ones.

If you do'n't get any by late Sept., you can take the feeder down for the year.  Don't despair, you'll stand a better chance of attracting them when they return in the spring.  If you have some empty flower pots, get some annual Salvia; Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot, or Walmart will have them cheap.  Salvia have tubular red or purple flowers that hummies love, and pots of Salvia near your feeders will attract them.

Once you get their attention, they'll be back every year.  If I do'n't get the feeders out early enough in the season, they'll hover in the spots the feeders were, wanting to know why I'm so slow and the service here is so poor.