Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Please tell me this a Golden Eagle

I've been staring at the sky a lot lately hoping for a black swift or a Swainsons hawk to fly over (no luck yet), but I finally had something interesting.

This bird was very very high up in the sky, gliding. I looked at it through my binoculars first and thought it was a bald eagle as its head appeared to be white, but then it didn't have a white tail, and when it got more above me it obviously wasn't white (golden nape!?) . I looked at it too long through my binoculars so I only managed to get pictures as it was heading away from me.... 

The quality is not that good at all as it was so high up, but hoping it is enough. Seen just a few minutes ago in BC.  

Please let it be a golden eagle and not a raggedy immature bald eagle.... Its really hard not to get my hopes up when Merlin says its a golden eagle as well 😅 I hope this is not a hawk either.. that would be embarrassing. 

image.png.dbcf1d509db7791474989db0a3a041e3.pngimage.thumb.png.2b3a061445605766ced9ec146130f617.pngimage.thumb.png.69fda1a54391c399bbb1649dff20a4e7.png

Honestly, Hallelujah! A lifer for me!

Thanks guys. 
Might have had to go for a walk to cool down if someone said it wasn’t.... 

Guess I didn’t waste all that time looking at the sky 😂

Large head, medium-length tail creating approximately equal projections both in front of and behind the wings = Bald

Small head, and long tail creating short projection in front of the wings and long projection behind the wings = Golden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been in this exact situation, except mine was a bald eagle. Was a disappointing day. 

• Haha 1