Whatbird Community
Donna1

What is this black bird in Malden MA with baby bird?

In Malden, Massachusetts near the Medford, MA line, a few days ago (August 2020) in the late afternoon (4 pm or so), I saw this big black (mother or father?) bird with a curved bill and a little bit of white on its tail feeding the baby bird in the nest outside my house on a ledge under a 2nd floor deck (so, not near the ground).  The nest was there last year, too, and had baby birds in it then. This baby bird has such a pretty underwing and it flew away later that day. I didn't see it fly - I only noticed it wasn't in the nest later that night. 

cropped mother and baby bird.jpg

copy baby bird waits for food.jpg

In the second picture you can see the white eye-ring and spotted chest indicative of a juvenile American Robin.

Wow, thanks Bird Nut #1 and Kevin, and thanks for the link, Kevin! I am puzzled, though, as I thought adult robins would have a yellow beak and I'd see some evidence of the orange underneath. Also this parent seems to have a curved beak which I didn't think robins have. Maybe the eye-ring is the determiner...  I imagine other baby birds could have spots like that. 

14 minutes ago, Donna1 said:

Also this parent seems to have a curved beak which I didn't think robins have.

I don't think the adult's bill isn't curved.  I think that's a dark mark on the wall behind the bird.

Hi Charlie, Thanks for the thought about the dark bill possibly being a dark mark, but I looked at a photo of the empty nest later and the dark marks for the peeling paint all point up, not down. I also noticed in this photo that the bird(s) had spare nest twigs on the shelf above. And I'd noticed before, it appears a very 523232626_copyofpaintaboveemptybirdsnest.thumb.jpg.fb7996ac13c34f39ccf87bb1a62049ad.jpgtiny baby bird had fallen (or was pushed out) of the nest some time prior to that and was at the base of the nest on the white ledge.