Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
gstacks

I think these are all the same species?

1-3 -- Lesser Yellowlegs

5-6 -- Solitary Sandpiper (juvenile of cinnamomea subspecies)

7 -- Lesser Yellowlegs -- on this bird, the tail is reasonably visible, and the color and pattern of that tail rule out Solly Sand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, what are we seeing different on the tails between #6 and #7?  The visible portions look identical to me.  #6 does appear to have 'spectacles' and a darker head than #7.

@Charlie Spencer so Solitary Sandpiper has a tail which is dark in the center and barred on the outer edges, as you can see in the photo below. What this means is that when the bird is standing, we see spots on the outside of the tail which are separated by the dark center.

64834131-480px.jpg

In the case of Lesser Yellowlegs, the tail is fully barred, as you can once again see from the photo below. This means that when the bird is standing the tail will have lines that run horizontally across, instead of simply spots.

64836501-480px.jpg

It's a little tricky, but you can clearly see the difference in tail pattern on gstack's birds. Also, the difference in structure between the two birds is very subtle, but it's there. In particular, notice that the Solitary (#6) has a very short neck- it simply attaches the head to the body, where on the Yellowlegs (#7) the neck is much longer, and it almost appears as though there's a 'kink' in it, and it has to fold its neck a bit because it's so long. The Solitary also has a larger eye creating a 'bug-eyed' appearance, and indicative of a smaller bird overall. Finally, notice the bill shape on the Solitary (#6), which is noticeably thicker at the base and tapers strongly downwards, while the Yellowlegs (#7) is only ever-so-slightly tapered downwards with its needle-like bill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

@Benjamin, thanks.  I can't view your photos here at work; they're probably blocked.  I'll take a look when I get home.

Otherwise, I can see most of the other differences you mention in the original photos.  I think Tony's comment had me fixated on the tail.

Edited by Charlie Spencer