Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  

I think the bill was long and thin like a warbler's, but I am not 100 percent sure of that.

Yesterday Palo Pinto CO. TX.(North central Texas.) Thanks for any thoughts!

DSCN2506.JPG

I initially thought Tufted Titmouse but there's too much peach and not enough tail.

I'm trying to decide if the pink I see under the bird, framed by the branches, are feet and legs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I initially thought Tufted Titmouse but there's too much peach and not enough tail.

Remember that I have hybrids here.

Red-breasted Nuthatch is the closest bird I can think of, but that would be pretty rare.

6 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Almost looks like a pipit, but tail seems too short. Maybe a Vireo?

No pipits, of any kind, in TX at this time of year.

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm trying to decide if the pink I see under the bird, framed by the branches, are feet and legs.

I see a pink hind toe and a dark pinkish stretch of foot, but I'm not sure that the color can be trusted. This beast is perplexing, as anything with that much orange of that tone on the underparts shouldn't have the rest of the bird looking as it does. My first thought, too, was a titmouse, but if so, it's got some serious color problems.

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Red-breasted Nuthatch is the closest bird I can think of, but that would be pretty rare.

All nuthatches have strongly patterned tails, so the genus is ruled out here.

Eastern Bluebird might have been an option if it just weren't so gray. I'm bamboozled, and I'm usually pretty good with these sorts of quizzes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

I'm bamboozled,

I didn't really think it could be identified, but you were my only real hope.

Merlin Photo ID says Pine Warbler. I have no clue if that’s right or not, and it probably isn’t, but I’m just throwing it out there. 

4 hours ago, Colton V said:

Merlin Photo ID says Pine Warbler. I have no clue if that’s right or not, and it probably isn’t, but I’m just throwing it out there. 

Pink feet and legs are wrong for PIWA.  I'd think we could see at least one white wing bar at this angle, along with some white edging on the wing feathers besides the bars (I guess wear could account for not seeing that?)  Even if we ignore this bird looking peach / orange instead of chartreuse, the color doesn't come far enough down the belly.  I'd think we could see a few side streaks too.  And don't PIWA have some dark on the tail?

But other than that, yeah; I can see that.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@Kevin, what's the habitat?  Notice anything about the behavior?

Mesquite and ashe juniper trees, across the road to the South fields, about 25 yards to the North Elm trees and a creek.

The behavior was very much like a Wren.

Originally I thougt it was a Carolina Wren, which fits great except for that the tail is clearly white.

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Pink feet and legs are wrong for PIWA.  I'd think we could see at least one white wing bar at this angle, along with some white edging on the wing feathers besides the bars (I guess wear could account for not seeing that?)  Even if we ignore this bird looking peach / orange instead of chartreuse, the color doesn't come far enough down the belly.  I'd think we could see a few side streaks too.  And don't PIWA have some dark on the tail?

But other than that, yeah; I can see that.  :classic_biggrin:

Doesn’t surprise me that Merlin got it wrong from a photo like this.