Whatbird Community

I saw one pine Siskin a few days ago here, not sure what he was doing.

Also saw/heard 10 redpolls flyover just this morning. Hoping they come to my feeders.

A few days ago I swear I heard an Evening grosbeak, but it only called once so had to leave it as pas sp... Never seen one in the city before 

On 10/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, Aidan B said:

I've been tripping the ebird alert almost everytime I bird for to many purple finches. I've also been seeing siskins regularly. Seem early for such big numbers to be showing up here in the central valley.

It helps if you indicate how you counted the birds - individually, by five, tens; area occupied; perched, feeding, or flying over; etc.

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

It helps if you indicate how you counted the birds - individually, by five, tens; area occupied; perched, feeding, or flying over; etc.

I do this, I just bird an area that gets a higher number of finches than most areas around my area. I have lots of berry bushes, pines, and steep hillsides (large numbers of these are not to common around my area) in my patch and regularly trip the alert for phainopepla, rufous crowned sparrow, hermit thrush, Hutton's vireo and purple finch.

I blew my high count for purple finch out of the water today, my previous high count for this year was nine, I got twenty today, however, I was focusing on seeing how many of these I could get today.,  

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 1
On 10/24/2020 at 3:04 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

I noted having them here in central SC in another discussion.  I've only had them at my feeders three times in 17 years, all three times in the last six winters, never before January.  I've had them the last couple of days, and other birders in the county have been reporting them for at least a week.

I just wanted to pile on here an let everyone know that I just had a ton of them show up here in central alabama at my feeders. I usually don’t get them until January either but here we are at the beginning of November and they are tearing into my nyjer/chipped peanut mix. 

On 8/8/2020 at 4:54 PM, Aaron said:

Anyone else seeing a more than average number of Pine Siskins around?

Here in BC, I would normally see about 10 or so throughout the day, but this year my counts are averaging 50+ in a span of about 2 hours. I even saw one flock of 74. My feeder can easily have over 20 birds around as well. It’s just constant pine siskins no matter what time of day. Honestly can’t escape them!
Just have never seen so many before and was wondering if anyone else is noticing the same thing?

The local Merlins seem to be very happy 

I have found one Pine Siskin this year. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has been a while since anyone has posted on this forum so I wanted to break the silence even if my information is not that exciting to share.   The Pine Siskins that showed up at my house on November 8th are still at me feeders pretty much every day.  I am going through a standard size nyjer feeder full of nyjer seed about once every 4 days.  I am going through a 1 gallon hopper style BOSS feeder about once every 2-3 days so these siskins are starting to weigh in on my pocket book!   I did notice a price increase on BOSS at Tractor supply.   From 18 bucks for a 40 lb bag to 23 bucks so there is definitely a supply issue like has been explained on this forum over the last 6 months.  I have seen all of my normal winter species except I have not seen a white-throated sparrow.  I usually get them and I do not recall seeing a chipping sparrow this winter.   It will not be long until Spring so we can enjoy the winter for a few months and it will start warming up before you know it.  I hope everyone is dealing with the covid as best as they can and let us all hope that 2021 is going to beat 2020! 

• Like 1

I have about hundred Pine Siskins at my feeders every day, for several weeks.

6 hours ago, tclarkwood said:

From 18 bucks for a 40 lb bag to 23 bucks so there is definitely a supply issue like has been explained on this forum over the last 6 months.

Yeah, it has gone up here two.

9 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Huh.  We had them for a few weeks in central SC back in late Nov / early Dec but none since before Christmas.

Same. I put nyjer out on Boxing Day and haven’t had a single Siskin or redpoll. They are around though, just not at my house. Soon...

I’d be curious to know what the siskin population is currently at my cabin. I doubt they’d be seen in high numbers, but I’m sure a few would still be sticking around. Wonder if any of you are seeing the same birds I saw in August?

Not many Siskins on the city right now. Seems to be a large flock in the south of about 40, but only maybe 5-6 other reports of a few individuals from the last 30 days. 

Other irruption birds have been infiltrating Calgary this year. I was seeing redpolls practically daily from the end of October-December there for quite a while. Though, they’ve seemed to have fizzled out lately. White-winged crossbills are also being reported consistently throughout the city, which I will eventually go try and find. Evening grosbeaks which are extremely rare in the city have been frequenting one area. 

Just need some rosy finches to head a bit more east and then we’re good! 

Here, the sun now rises 3 minutes earlier than it did a few days ago. Spring is slowly on its way. Just another 4 months.... 😒

Edited by Aaron

I just counted approximately 3250 Pine siskins, all headed east back into the Sierra Nevada, I wonder how much longer they will be in my area?

Here is one of the 40 flocks I saw today

Pine Siskin

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I am seeing some sick acting Pine Siskins around my feeders so I took everything down and washed it really good and reloaded.  I have so many siskins and goldfinches in a small area around the feeders and they just practically stay on top of each other.  I can see how easily the salmonella bacteria infection can be spread among them.  I have not seen any dead birds but I have so many opossums, cats and raccoons that no dead bird would last more than one night without being eaten.   Do you think cleaning everything several times a week is enough or do you think I really need to just take down my feeders to make them disperse?    They could just go to other feeders that are not being cleaned?  

On 1/22/2021 at 7:18 AM, tclarkwood said:

I am seeing some sick acting Pine Siskins around my feeders so I took everything down and washed it really good and reloaded.  I have so many siskins and goldfinches in a small area around the feeders and they just practically stay on top of each other.  I can see how easily the salmonella bacteria infection can be spread among them.  I have not seen any dead birds but I have so many opossums, cats and raccoons that no dead bird would last more than one night without being eaten.   Do you think cleaning everything several times a week is enough or do you think I really need to just take down my feeders to make them disperse?    They could just go to other feeders that are not being cleaned?  

It’s recommended that you take down your feeders for at least two weeks to let them disperse. Even with daily cleanings, infected birds can still infect other birds by contact. 
Even if there are other feeders, it will take time before a flock finds them and the sick birds may not be able to actually make it there at all. If they’re sick, they’re weakened and are gonna stick around as they know they have an easy source of food and won’t take the now elevated risk to try and find another source.
So it helps to remove the feeders if there are potential sick birds around, regardless if there are other feeders

On 1/22/2021 at 6:18 AM, tclarkwood said:

I've had my feeders down since December 20. Try spreading the word around to your neighborhood about taking feeders down.