Whatbird Community

This is just such an insanely hard ID, especially for someone with no experience separating flycatchers in Belize. It's a Brown-crested/Yucaton, but I just don't know enough to separate them.

Thanks for the guide. I zoomed in and put my picture and the guide picture side by side. I'm leaning towards Ash-throated.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Miss Marge said:

Thanks for the guide. I zoomed in and put my picture and the guide picture side by side. I'm leaning towards Ash-throated.

The problem with using field guides in such a literal manner is precisely this- the illustrations within a field guide are going to be exaggerated and imperfect, and are not how these birds look in real life. More to the point, these illustrations are simply how an artist interprets these birds, which is inherently much different than how the birds actually look.

Direct comparison of a photo to illustrations is simply not helpful- that's really not the purpose of the illustration. If reference is needed, use photos of the bird. Ultimately, there's nothing better than field experience- you'll get a holistic impression of what that bird is like, what habitat it occurs in, etc. , rather than the filtered view you get from looking at a field guide.

This bird is not an Ash-throated Flycatcher, which is overall much plainer and more tan-colored. But that's the least of your worries, because Ash-throated Flycatchers don't even live in Belize, and prefer dry, arid areas.

Edited by Benjamin

Well that was an epic fail. Perhaps this student should have done her homework and looked at the area Ash-throated Flycatchers are found in. I appreciate your help and knowledge. It's good to learn as we go along in this wonderful world of birding.

Thank you. I really appreciate you wisdom.