Whatbird Community

I originally thought these fast-flying birds buzzing my treetops the other evening were some kind of Swift; but upon closer examination of my photos, I noticed the forked tail.  After perusing other possible matches on my Audubon app, I’m currently leaning toward Bank Swallow.  Can anyone support this conclusion or offer other suggestions?  Thanks! 

…Oh, and I’m in northern NJ.

***Wherever you are in the world, I wish my fellow birders (and EVERYONE) continued health and safety in this present time of uncertainty.  Be well… ***

P1000030e.jpg

P1000033e.JPG

P1000034e1.jpg

Posted (edited)

The long, deeply forked tails make these Barn Swallows.

Edited by akandula
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, akandula said:

The long, deeply forked tails make these Barn Swallows.

Hmm, I'm not so sure.  I've seen plenty of Barn Swallows up close before, and the blue & orange bodies seem to be missing here.

21 minutes ago, BirdNrd said:

Cliff Swallow?

Possibly; I'm not familiar with those at all. 

...Think I'll wait for some more birders to hopefully chirp - I mean "chime" - in.

16 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

These are barn swallows. I believe the juveniles have pale bellys, somewhat like the Eurasian subspecies. 

Thanks, I appreciate the reasoning.  Leaning a little more in this direction now.

...Just means I'll have to work on getting some better quality photos, to convince myself the rest of the way!

23 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

These are barn swallows. I believe the juveniles have pale bellys, somewhat like the Eurasian subspecies. 

These are adults -- juveniles have shorter tails. There is a lot of variation in belly color of the American subspecies.

• Like 1

Note the contrasting pale wing linings, which is diagnostic for Barn Swallow. Additionally, the long, narrow-based wings are not matched by any other NJ swallow species.

Thanks again to everyone for all your input...

I was recently out in the same setting and photographed more birds.  I have a feeling this is a different species, though.

Chimney swifts, perhaps?

P1030216e.JPG

P1030217e.JPG

P1030232e.JPG

P1030245e.JPG

Yes, those are Chimney Swifts. They have a stiff-wing flight pattern, much different from the elegant swooping of Barn Swallows. Also note the shorter tail.

Edited by akandula