Whatbird Community
HamRHead

Coopers or Red-shouldered?

Posted (edited)

Today, Augusta, GA. The tail looks a bit long for Red-shouldered, but perhaps not long enough for a Coopers. The white wing crescents suggest Red-shouldered, but some in-flight shots of Coopers seem to show a similar lightening in the primaries. A free zucchini for every respondent :classic_laugh:

Hawk sp 1 8-9-20.JPG

Hawk sp 2 8-9-20.JPG

Edited by HamRHead

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Red-shouldered.  Now where's my zucchini?

would you mind explaining why you think it is  red shouldered? i would love a zucchini!

Edited by Nivalis
zucchini
  • Like 1

Just now, Nivalis said:

would you mind explaining why you think it is  red shouldered? 

I know you weren't asking me, but.... the crescents near the wing tips, and you can also see the checkered pattern of the wings. As well as the tail would be longer on a Cooper's.

• Like 2

Just now, Bird Brain said:

I know you weren't asking me, but.... the crescents near the wing tips, and you can also see the checkered pattern of the wings. As well as the tail would be longer on a Cooper's.

okay thanks i have been trying to work on my hawk id's

• Like 1

Just now, Nivalis said:

would you mind explaining why you think it is  red shouldered? 

Pale crescents near wingtips (that are noticeably more translucent than the surrounding translucent panels), five "wing fingers" (kind of hard to see), larger head and wings and shorter tail than an Accipiter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nivalis said:

okay thanks i have been trying to work on my hawk id's

You're welcome. I know Hawks can be tough sometimes. It takes lots of seeing them to make it easier. I've seen so many Red-shouldered and Cooper's that this one was easy for me. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wooeee! I wasn't expecting such a response! We don't actually have any zucchini, but I'm expecting someone to leave a boatload on our font porch any day now! 

Edited by HamRHead
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Wooeee! I wasn't expecting such a response! We don't actually have any zucchini, but I'm expecting someone to leave a boatload on our font porch any day now! 

WHAT????????? No zucchini!!??!!! Sputter...mumble...grumble..... after all the trouble I went to!!! My fingers are calloused and bleeding from all the typing I did!! Expletive.... expletive....expletive!!! Well, I never.......😠 See if I ever give you another ID...........

Edited by Bird Brain
  • Haha 6

33 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

WHAT????????? No zucchini!!??!!! Sputter...mumble...grumble..... after all the trouble I went to!!! My fingers are calloused and bleeding from all the typing I did!! Expletive.... expletive....expletive!!! Well, I never.......😠 See if I ever give you another ID...........

Wow, I'm sorry. I can tell you really wanted one. If you get any where near Georgia, let me know and I'll get you several. One might be enough though. The get as big as propane tanks around here. Not everyone likes zucchini but I do. They are an excellent source of compost. Seriously, a good (unscrupulous?) cook can sneak zucchini into to almost anything from pancakes to meatloaf to fruit smoothies without anyone knowing. Or did you want to sneak it into your bird feeder?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Wow, I'm sorry. I can tell you really wanted one. If you get any where near Georgia, let me know and I'll get you several. One might be enough though. The get as big as propane tanks around here. Not everyone likes zucchini but I do. They are an excellent source of compost. Seriously, a good (unscrupulous?) cook can sneak zucchini into to almost anything from pancakes to meatloaf to fruit smoothies without anyone knowing. Or did you want to sneak it into your bird feeder?

Nah, as much as I love my birds I wouldn't share a zucchini with them. I like them just about any way they can be fixed....fried, steamed, stuffed, baked, etc. I'm an old country boy, raised on the farm, so I like pretty much all veggies. 

I was born in NE Ala, and mostly raised up in N Fla. I usually go back home once a year, first to Fla then make a trip from there to 'Bama. Don't guess I'll be going this year, though, because of the Covid virus. If I was I'd look you up when I passed through Ga to get that zucchini!!  Whereabouts in Ga do you live, just in case I do go? 😁

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HamRHead said:

The get as big as propane tanks around here.

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

8 hours ago, HamRHead said:

sneak zucchini into to almost anything

Use a mandolin to slice one into uniform planks, and use them instead of lasagna noodles.

8 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

...whereabouts in Ga do you live, just in case I do go? 

Just south of Augusta. Only about 30 min from I-20. Maybe @Charlie SpencerSpencer can come over and we can hit up Phinizy Swamp.

33 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Use a mandolin to slice one into uniform planks, and use them instead of lasagna noodles.

I'm out of likes :classic_sad: And, among other things, there was a Caspian Tern at Phinizy yesterday.

10 hours ago, HamRHead said:

You must be a fellow gardener as well as a fellow birder?

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

You must be a fellow gardener as well as a fellow birder?

Yes, corn, tomatoes, peppers--hot and bell, onions, cucumbers, potatoes, okra, yellow crook necked squash, sometimes eggplant and zucchini, cantaloupe, etc. There is nothing better that produce from your own garden

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 7:25 AM, HamRHead said:

Just south of Augusta. Only about 30 min from I-20. Maybe @Charlie SpencerSpencer can come over and we can hit up Phinizy Swamp.

Yeah, we definitely have to do that when it cools off and migrants move in!

Awesome! Does the eggplant come with a recipe? I think the best way is to slice it about a quarter of an inch thick, dip it in flour, salt, pepper and fry it. There might be some Parmesan cheese in there somewhere, too.