Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlueJay

Woodpecker ID Help

Taken today in Cary, NC. I'm not sure if it's a Hairy or Downy. It's a pretty heavy crop but hopefully it's still ID-able. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_3427.JPG

I’m leaning Hairy. I think I can see a shoulder spur and unmarked outer tail feathers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, akandula said:

I’m leaning Hairy. I think I can see a shoulder spur and unmarked outer tail feathers.

And I was going to say that I think that I saw spotted outer tail feathers. Whatever it is, I would never count this as a lifer.

• Like 1

I couldn't tell if the potential tail spots were marks on the feathers or photographic artifacts.  There appear to be five, with one near the vent and another almost up by the legs, and I'm pert near darn sure that ain't right, y'all.

i don't know on this one, purely going on instinct i wold say this is a hairy but i don't know why so don't take that as a actual ID, i do believe the tail feathers are pure white and do not have black spots

22 hours ago, BlueJay said:

It's a pretty heavy crop but hopefully it's still ID-able.

Perhaps posting the original photo on a third party website like flickr, imjur, etc., will allow others to zoom in for a little better view. Uploads directly to Whatbird get compressed and don't show as much detail as photo sharing websites do. That MIGHT help determine if the potential tail spots have the potential to determine the ID.

Per Sibley's face patch sketches - https://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/02/a-new-clue-for-identifying-downy-and-hairy-woodpeckers -  I am leaning slightly Downy. However, I agree with akandula that there does seem to be a shoulder spur. But...

6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I couldn't tell if the potential tail spots were marks on the feathers or photographic artifacts...

Why not both--tail spots AND photographic artifacts? Just stirring the pot.

@BlueJay would you happen to have any other shots?

Sadly I don't have another pic but this spot is really close to my house so my family and I will keep going there. If I get a better shot I'll post it here.