Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
SirRusty

Carolina Wren dilemma

I have a sole Carolina Wren who has made his home inside of the folds of a closed umbrella in my patio. He shows up every night just before dark and hops from my outdoor table and onto the closed umbrella. Then he chooses a fold and disappears into it.

I certainly don't mind...in fact I'm flattered that he chose my patio as a safe place to sleep at night. My only issue is that I'm trying to figure out what happens when it gets cold in another 2 months or so. I usually take the umbrella down and store it by then...and besides, the folds are hardly the warmest place as winter proceeds. It gets quite windy as there's a direct west wind that's pretty cold.

I've put up a birdhouse and a roosting pocket in hopes that the little guy will see one of those as preferable but no luck so far. He still spends the night between the umbrella folds.

I'm open to suggestions...there's going to come a point where I'll take down the umbrella but I would hate to leave the little guy homeless in the beginning of winter.

Options are:

1. take the umbrella down now and force him to choose another home...of course there's a chance that he'll choose a different locale but at least he's not forced to do so in the dead of winter.

The other consideration is I like the little guy...I would love for him to choose one of the 2 places I set up for him in my patio.

2. Leave the umbrella in place all winter. He'll sleep in the folds as he's doing now. Maybe he survives...but I'm doubtful in this regard. Between the snow and the cold windy conditions, I'm not so confident he'll survive

Does anyone have any ideas to move the little guy to choice?

Welcome to Whatbird!! @SirRusty

Funny how quick we can get attached to birds, huh? I know just how you feel, we tend to want to take care of them after a very short acquaintance! They can usually get along quite well in spite of our best efforts to help them 🙂  He is taking advantage of a cozy sleeping spot of his choosing, and if it were not there he'd find another spot. Unfortunately, we can not make up their little minds for them, they'll pick what they want despite our best efforts to influence them. I would take down the umbrella as usual, and hope he will pick one of the spots you have provided. Don't be too disappointed if he doesn't, but hopefully he'll stay around close by. I'm always glad to hear from another bird lover!! Keep us posted!

• Like 1

Welcome!  Would you tell us your general location?

Carolina Wrens are famous for jamming themselves into an assortment of patio furniture, including umbrellas, rolled up shades, porch lights, sheltered corners, etc.  They got along just fine before humans brought all this stuff into their environment, and most of them do well without ever seeing human-provided shelter.  I agree with Bird Brain - take the umbrella down when you're ready.  The bird will find somewhere else.

I doubt your wren will move into the bird house at this time.  Birds rarely occupy houses outside of nesting season, and wrens pretty well done with that for the year.  Watch your house in the spring to see if one moves in, but don't be surprised if you find wrens nesting in flower pots, door wreaths, unused shoes, inside garages, tops of propane tanks, and almost any other sheltered niche.

• Like 1

Bird Brain, Charlie Spencer

Thank you both for your responses...she who must be obeyed also suggested as you both have 😁 so I'll take the umbrella down some time before it starts to get cold here in north Philly.

It's intriguing to learn how they manage to find homes in places we'd never imagine. A shoe? A coat pocket? Its a testament to their adaptability. They are quite fascinating...and as much as I'd like to help, he'll do quite well without me intervening.

In the meantime I'll just enjoy him sticking around for as long as he does...who knows, as you point out Bird Brain he may stay nearby when I finally do take the umbrella down.

Thanks again...

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 11:55 AM, SirRusty said:

It's intriguing to learn how they manage to find homes in places we'd never imagine. A shoe? A coat pocket? Its a testament to their adaptability.

Here, check some of these out.  I particularly like the one nesting in the pickup truck bed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carolina+wren+nests&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwilve3C_MXrAhWF_KQKHTCpC1QQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1439&bih=999