Whatbird Community

Lots and Lots of Sandpipers

All pics taken today in KY at a fish hatchery. Are these all the same species? I don't know much of anything about sandpipers, so I'm not even going to try to guess what they might be. Pics 1 and 2 are the same bird, but the rest were all different individuals. 

DSC_1159.thumb.JPG.bb4da147f99eaa0fdef6d9f6dc3b84ba.JPG

DSC_1170.thumb.JPG.8d3ed41481efa0ce54f41cf92a3c4fdb.JPG

DSC_1182.thumb.JPG.75db2d419e7fad4f0e2813f2e30597bf.JPG

DSC_1191.thumb.JPG.69803e8533548917871975b85484535d.JPG

DSC_1187.thumb.JPG.c0c1761f8186732b87dcec8c0f401f61.JPG

DSC_1178.thumb.JPG.dd8b012ca81504c492271e9ef2e9ddc4.JPG

2. is another SPSA. I think 4. and 5. are probably more Leasts. Not sure on those, but I think I'm seeing yellow legs on both of them, so they can't be Baird's. Pectoral is a possibility I would presume, but the coloration and stature looks better for Least to me.

• Like 1

The wings of bird #5 are way too long for Least Sand, whose wing tips usually do not reach the tail tip. Additionally, Least Sands typically sport two pale streaks on the back ("braces"), which this bird lacks. The large black centers to the scapulars and long wings help ID this as a Baird's.

Bird #4 might be a Solitary -- it's got thin legs and what seems like a droop-tipped bill, but I'd like a different view to definitively ID it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

The wings of bird #5 are way too long for Least Sand, whose wing tips usually do not reach the tail tip. Additionally, Least Sands typically sport two pale streaks on the back ("braces"), which this bird lacks. The large black centers to the scapulars and long wings help ID this as a Baird's.

Bird #4 might be a Solitary -- it's got thin legs and what seems like a droop-tipped bill, but I'd like a different view to definitively ID it.

Here's a different view for 4. This one flew away pretty quickly, so these two pics were the best ones I could get. 

DSC_1192.JPG

So if I have everything straight, then 1/2 is spotted, 3 is a least, 4 is pectoral, and 6 is spotted. Is 5 a Baird's? That's the one I'm still unclear on. I keep going back and forth between photos of Baird's and Least trying to figure it out, but they both look good! I don't have an eye for sandpipers yet.