Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Soohegan

Sandpipers: Is this a Semipalmated?

This is a Western- although it is on the very short side in terms of bill length. Notice the structure- front heavy and awkwardly proportioned, different than Semis which appear much daintier and more graceful.

Also worth noting that Semis in the west are on average short-billed than those in the east 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

This is a Western- although it is on the very short side in terms of bill length. Notice the structure- front heavy and awkwardly proportioned, different than Semis which appear much daintier and more graceful.

Also worth noting that Semis in the west are on average short-billed than those in the east 

I see - thank you. Several peeps of various ages in this group so it's challenging. These three on the right appear to be late juvenile WESA?

https://imgur.com/pDjGdoC

I don't know much about aging Westerns per se off the top of my head, but I do know that generally young peeps are very fresh plumaged and brighter than adults. That said, it's really quite hard to tell as you generally need to see a good deal of feather detail, but I do see a good amount of scalloping on the back, which does seem more than one would expect on an adult.

Also worth noting, it's exceedingly difficult to judge minute size differences in the field- which is what the difference in size between Semi and Western is, minute. In your initial bird that you posted, notice that the LESA in the back is quite puffed up, masking to some extent the true size difference.