Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
bo nelson

Ibis Juvi: White vs White-faced

I found this bird in a ditch next to Walmart just east of Houston.  I think it's a juvenile White Ibis but a local thinks it's a White-faced.  Once again, I need a ruling.

Thanks

WhiteIbis 12AUG20.jpg

Ah, nice to know that's the tell.  And glad it is so I have a photo, the photos I took of flying white birds were embarrassing.

thanks

It’s a rare Walmart Ibis, found exclusively in low quality ecosystems formed by Walmart parking lots. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Colton V said:

It’s a rare Walmart Ibis, found exclusively in low quality ecosystems formed by Walmart parking lots. 

It’s funny, I’ve heard countless stories of really solid birds being found it Walmart retention ponds and marshes. Always keep an eye out. 

• Like 2

Retention ponds are highly underappreciated, esp. the larger ones associated with 'Big Box' retailers, strip malls, industries and industrial parks, etc.  Lots of waders, blackbirds, and other marshy denizens.  I've notched four or five lifers in them.

• Like 1

Adding to what AlexHenry said, my rule of thumb is if there's any major, obvious white portion on an ibis, it's a White Ibis. 

10 hours ago, blackburnian said:

It’s funny, I’ve heard countless stories of really solid birds being found it Walmart retention ponds and marshes. Always keep an eye out. 

Isn't that just simply an outcome of how often those places are visited? Presumably almost anywhere would host solid birds given a baseline level of habitat and enough time with frequent, regular visits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Retention ponds are highly underappreciated, esp. the larger ones associated with 'Big Box' retailers, strip malls, industries and industrial parks, etc.  Lots of waders, blackbirds, and other marshy denizens.  I've notched four or five lifers in them.

Very true. I got my lifer Black-bellied Whistling Duck at a retention pond at a strip mall in Lake City, Fla. a couple of years ago.

I have a flickr buddy who has a pair of Sandhill cranes that nest in a retention basin next to a walmart...

3 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Isn't that just simply an outcome of how often those places are visited? Presumably almost anywhere would host solid birds given a baseline level of habitat and enough time with frequent, regular visits.

Yes and no. In a sea of concrete and strip malls, there is little other available suitable habitat. I  know of many excellent examples of retentions ponds producing quite good birding in such areas of otherwise little in the way of interesting birds. This is particularly true in some metro areas in Florida.

• Like 1

Texas residents, there's a new book released this summer, 'Parking Lot Birding', which is exclusive to sites in the Lone Star State.  (You have no idea how disappointed I was to find it was strictly regional and not a more generic approach to urban birding.)

https://www.amazon.com/Parking-Lot-Birding-Discovering-Natural/dp/1623498511

Even though this was my first White Ibis, maybe more interesting about my Walmart stop (to buy bug spray) was first thing I noticed was a gull I didn't recognize.  After driving around the parking to to get an angle it finally landed.  Another first for me.  It does look a bit like it's Laughing right?

LaughingGull 12AUG20.jpg