Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
RobinHood

Not just the bird - setting, lighting etc.

I acknowledge we are possibly getting too many sub-topics but I really like the photos that have something of interest as well as the bird.

I'd like to see just a few before the thread dies. I know we have great photographers here, not just birders.

I'll post a couple of recent ones as examples, not the best but give an idea of what I am thinking of.

This one is an immature Bonaparte's Gull landing in the early morning mist yesterday morning.

Bonaparte's Gull imm if 8x10 EcoP-758542.jpg

• Like 3

Grebe wake riding (green reflected by the reeds and the birds stirring up the true water colour).

Pied-billed Grebe wake ride HVT-758056.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A Song Sparrow at dusk as the final rays of sunshine are fading.  

songsparrow

Edited by Spyonabird
  • Like 6

the sun was coming up to my right and just highlighted the grasses on the far side 

DSC_3301-1.jpg

• Like 2

Okay, I've probably posted this one a gazillion times, and it's my profile header too.  I have shots that are clearer, more detailed, technically better, but it remains my all-time favorite. 

It was relatively cloudy that January morning at Phinizy Swamp Nature Park near Augusta, GA.  The Great Blue was flying over one of the large ponds when he suddenly pulled hard right and did his best imitation of a diving Gannet.  Bill first, wings back, legs behind, like a giant lawn dart.  As he stabbed the water, his feet were already coming around to push off the bottom.  I got several shots in the series, but this THE one for me.  Do us both a favor and zoom in.  The spread of the primaries, the water streaming off his legs, the massive fish impaled on his bill, he looks like a cross between a B2 bomber and the avian Angel of Death. 

It perfectly captures the moment, and everything I love about birding.

1065277723_GreatBlueHeron(5).thumb.JPG.c1f66aaabf464eeedff0f1d5118a419a.JPG

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

It perfectly captures the moment, and everything I love about birding

Agree completely. I did a quick crop for those not inclined to follow your suggestion to zoom in (hope that's OK), but any likes should go above.

I thought this thread had died an immediate death (didn't get any notifications and forgot to check back). All out of likes (again) so will follow up later.

Oops, not sure the crop is helpful now I see it on screen.

Charlie's Heron Whatbird-.jpg

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

Agree completely. I did a quick crop

One day I may get around to figuring out editing and post-processing.  Right now I find it very frustrating.  I don't know what my goal is, what the finished image should look like, or when to quit.

I took this photo the last time I went to Florida, but can’t remember if I was trying to get the pelican in front of the sun or if this was just a happy accident.... I like to think it was my immense skill! 😂

7E71747A-0454-4C58-9D35-2C544EA7F0D1.jpeg

• Like 10

"Not just the bird - setting, lighting etc."

Here is a different take an that...

pigeon, rock (8).JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I thought this one I took last month was really interesting.  The backlighting, the hovering hummingbird, the different shades of green in the background...

• Like 11

On 8/24/2020 at 11:55 AM, Johnd said:

Iv always liked to include some background in bird photoing. Think it makes a better photo.

I was at a location last week that was attracting a lot of traffic (very serious birders) for some uncommon shorebirds. I included this photo for the Great Blue in my posting.

I suspect not every one appreciates my sense of humour (I only do it occasionally and always remove the photo later).

Great Blue Heron Beeton-7500450.jpg

• Like 1

Thought it’d be cool to get the mountains in the background of this massive Canada goose family. Though not the most spectacular mountains, more like big hills.
If only it were buoy free.... CE8C302A-BD10-4DDF-A590-C3D2F9B8EE1D.thumb.jpeg.bdd9a365ddb7b74d4ffbb54daeeb703e.jpeg

• Like 8

On 9/4/2020 at 2:04 PM, Aaron said:

If only it were buoy free.... 

@Aaron. Just a very quick and dirty effort - not many pixels to work with so probably only good for a 4x6. I may prefer it with the buoys!!

No buoys-.jpg

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 1

Wow thanks!  Didn’t know that was even possible. All I know about editing photos is adjusting brightness, saturation, and sharpness on my phone! 

That is so cool. Mind changing the geese into swans? 😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Aaron said:

That is so cool. Mind changing the geese into swans?

Not a problem and I cropped it tighter so you could see them better. If you want the hills changed into mountains you will have to fly me over there but it is doable.

Whatbird No buoys Swans-6002714.jpg

• Haha 3