Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  

i live in sandwich, cape cod.  recently noticed odd-looking bird: predominantly white with minimal black markings on tail and a thin black vertical stripe on each wing close to body; about size of sparrow; will use bird feeder when alone but scatters when another bird comes along.  sorry, don't have camera but if i did, i wouldn't be able to get closer than 30 feet as it's very jumpy.

never saw anything like it before and doesn't appear is on-line bird id books.  wondering if some bird got blown off course or if it's a genetic mutation.

Maybe a luecistic goldfinch? Only bird without any mutations that I can think of that match that description would be snow bunting, but it is early for them, and I don’t think they go to feeders. 

Welcome to Whatbird!

What's in the feeder?  Sunflower seeds, niger / thistle, peanuts, suet, etc?  Are they other birds this one hangs out with, maybe similar birds but yellow where this one is white?

Even a cell phone photo might be of help.