Whatbird Community

I saw this bird today in Suffolk, VA at a place called Lone Star Lakes. This bird was splashing around in the water near a tiny island in the middle of the lake. After splashing for a while it climbed up on the tiny island (pictured below) and that is where it stayed.

DSC_0217-0.jpg

DSC_0232-0.jpg

DSC_0236-0.jpg

DSC_0238.JPG

7 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

A domestic Muscovy Duck is correct. 

I know what domestic is (at least I thought I did), but what do you mean by domestic? This duck is definitely not a pet.

2 minutes ago, ronvan3 said:

I know what domestic is (at least I thought I did), but what do you mean by domestic? This duck is definitely not a pet.

These are not native to most of the US (they are a vagrant to south Texas). They presumably were Released by people or escaped. These are the offspring of domestic Muscovys, which are often on farms. 

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, ronvan3 said:

Think of the domesticated cat.  There are plenty of breeds, and plenty of feral ones that aren't pets.

• Like 1