Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
birdgurl

Rufous Hummingbird

That would be an Allen's with that extensive green. Not entirely sure of the age or sex of the bird though, as I'm not very familiar with this species.

11 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

That would be an Allen's with that extensive green. Not entirely sure of the age or sex of the bird though, as I'm not very familiar with this species.

How could we rule out, let’s say an immature male bird. While if I saw this bird where I am, I would most likely call this an Allen’s, there hasn’t been a record of Allen’s in the county Grants Pass is in in over 15 years. I would want to see tail spread to confirm. 

Imm. Male isn’t what we want to rule out, we would want to rule out female. Can they have that strong of a gorget? I don’t believe so. If it’s a male, I might call it an Allen’s. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

How could we rule out, let’s say an immature male bird. While if I saw this bird where I am, I would most likely call this an Allen’s, there hasn’t been a record of Allen’s in the county Grants Pass is in in over 15 years. I would want to see tail spread to confirm. 

My (perhaps bad?) assumption was that Rufous would not be so extensively green with an entirely green gorget. Of course I didn't double check that or look at the range of the species before I blunderingly posted.

You're definitely better equipped to answer this than me, but my initial thought was that this was likely a female. Surely a young male with that much of a gorget would have some red by now, no? Either way, I was simply unaware that Rufous could simply be this green.

Edited by Benjamin

Just because it has one or a few red gorget feathers does not necessarily mean that they'll show up in two photos. The viewing/photo angle is all important with iridescent colors, which are created by the feather's structure, not by pigments. I suggest imm male Rufous, but there's no sure way to discern species from these photos (as noted above).