Whatbird Community

I can’t figure out this bird.. I’m a backyard novice !

I know it is not a flicker ( too small) or woodpecker of any kind... I have three different kinds of woodpeckers. I live in Annapolis Maryland and have been feeding the birds for three years and this is a new bird. 

It does look like a sparrow of sorts, but do they exclusively eat suet?

1 hour ago, Joani Gammill said:

It does look like a sparrow of sorts, but do they exclusively eat suet?

The song sparrows at my feeders eat the suet, the bird seed mix, and the Niger seed. They eat everything!

4 hours ago, Joani Gammill said:

Medium sized striped light or darker on top

Can you be more specific?  What color are the stripes?  Do they run across / around the body, or from head to tail?

Can you tell the color of the legs or bill?  Is there another bird you can compare it to, in terms of shape or color?

Some species of wren, maybe?  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/browse/taxonomy/Troglodytidae

Edited by Charlie Spencer
17 hours ago, Joani Gammill said:

pale underneath , no stripes

16 hours ago, Avery said:

Probably a song sparrow. Dark chest spot seals the deal for me.

I could be wrong here, but I always considered Song sparrows to be streaky/striped underneath. Does the bird in question look like this? https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/id

BTW, Welcome to Whatbird @Joani Gammill.

Edited by lonestranger
10 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I could be wrong here, but I always considered Song sparrows to be streaky/striped underneath. Does the bird in question look like this? https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/id

BTW, Welcome to Whatbird @Joani Gammill.

Well, geez, post a link to the likely suspect, why don''t you?  Way to spoil everyone's fun!  :classic_tongue:

• Haha 1

@Joani Gammill I do think more information is going to be needed; Song Sparrow wouldn't have a hook-like beak. Lots of birds are various shades of brown and white, and have striped heads 😄 If you can get a picture that would be great; also if you see it again try to get a more precise description. If you could sketch the head stripes and chest patch that would help. Also check the size and shape of the tail and the color of the legs and feet. Striped head, pale unstriped underneath, and sometimes a dark chest patch sounds like House Sparrow to me; the males and females look different.