Whatbird Community
Joani Gammill

Where did my red winged black birds go?

I live in Annapolis MD. It took me a good year to attract the red winged black bird. I love their call. 

They , maybe two birds, stayed for a few weeks and now they are gone. 

I feed sunflower chips, peanuts out of the shell , two duets , water fountain , oh and sugar waster for the humming birds, that sadly will be leaving soon. 

Ive had houses before in the area and they don’t leave???

Thanks!

Joani

58 minutes ago, Joani Gammill said:

I live in Annapolis MD. It took me a good year to attract the red winged black bird. I love their call. 

They , maybe two birds, stayed for a few weeks and now they are gone. 

I feed sunflower chips, peanuts out of the shell , two duets , water fountain , oh and sugar waster for the humming birds, that sadly will be leaving soon. 

Ive had houses before in the area and they don’t leave???

Thanks!

Joani

Some northern populations are migratory. Maybe yours are?

Interesting question. I've been noticing that I haven't many RWBLs on my bird lists for a few weeks.  Today we were sitting next to a slang eating our lunch and casually noticing the birds that we spotted, when we realized that we were seeing flock after flock zooming by, far enough away that we couldn't really see what they were.  I put my binos on a spot where I figured that they would cross, and verified that they were indeed RWBLs, groups of 25 to 100, mostly all headed in the same direction, probably at least 1000 in all. Some adult males but mainly either adult females and young ones.  Getting into flocks and preparing to migrate.  Typical behavior for this time of year.  I suspect that's where yours are.

• Like 1

Yep, they disappear from our neighborhood every year at this time to gather in huge flocks elsewhere.  Completely normal.