Whatbird Community

Lexington County, central SC, August 11th.  The ongoing saga of what's feeding on the exposed lake bed of a farm pond recently lowered by 4 feet. 

Least to the left, Spotted to the right, what's the circled ... sandpiper?  The danged thing appears to have a uniformly dark head.

Thanks!

image.png.1c7c05ac8ae514226ec6dfafc6f56dfe.png

image.png.4312a53fbd53c609a201b151f47a545f.png

Posted (edited)

Huh.  I've been so focused on the dark-headed bird that I honestly took the other two for granted.  Others have reported Pecs at the same pond since the water was lowered two weeks ago.  I have some additional photos with birds I haven't ID'ed yet; I'll see if I can find any clearer Pecs.  I'll probably wind up with those in a new discussion.

Otherwise, here's a blatant BUMP for the dark-headed birds.  The bill seems too long for a plover.  I have other photos showing birds with this appearance, and the head is consistently darker than everything else in the area.  Whatever it is, it's showing up on a regular basis.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
22 hours ago, Soohegan said:

I think the 2 in front are both LESA and the one in back is a Spotted.

All three are members of Calidris, given the obvious pale fringes on wing feathers. The front-right bird's wings are WAY too long for Least, whose wing tips do not reach the tail tip. If the legs are as yellow as they seem, then this has to be a Pectoral Sand, almost certainly a female since it doesn't absolutely dwarf the two Leasts in the photo. I actually have a problem with that bird being a Pec, as the wings also seem too long for that species, but the apparent leg color rules out my first thought, Baird's. Least Sand typically has a hood like these show.

Edited by Tony Leukering
addition
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Oh, and that's not a request for an ID, just a demo of how much difference a slight change in angle and head position can make.  The second shot is slightly more in focus, which accounts for the better defined markings on the wings.  That's not enough to explain the differences in head and wing colors.  I didn't realize lighting could make THAT much difference!

Edited by Charlie Spencer