Whatbird Community

In comparison to other similar birds, no. The main field marks I use are color (House being more orange, and Purple being more, well, purple), facial pattern, and bill.

Well sooner or later I hope to see a purple one. Actually, there were several birds, beside the one in a picture. One was way more colored. Could not take picture of it unfortunately... Wonder if different species ever hang up in a mix?

The amount of color on Purples is more extensive than on Houses, extending well into the wings and sides.  The famous Peterson quote describes them as 'a sparrow dipped in raspberry juice'.  Both sexes of Purples also have strong facial markings compared to Houses.

What's your location, please?  That will play a big part in how likely you are to see Purples.

Male House Finches have strongly streaked flanks, with those streaks being brown (that is, not reddish) laid over whitish feathering. Adult males -- the red ones -- of both Purple and Cassin's finches show at least some pink coloration in the flanks, somewhere and nearly always lack strong brown streaking there.

Western Purple Finch

Cassin's Finch

House Finch

17 minutes ago, Victor D said:

Here is another one. About a month ago at COLONY FARM, Coquitlam BC. I was looking at link TONY sent and leaning toward Purple... Am I right? Or it is still House one?

The angle is a little tough, but looks fine for Purple Finch to me. Next time start a new topic as some people won't go back and check the same one again. Both Purple and House seem pretty common in the area you're in, so both should be on your radar when looking at haemorhous (Purple, House and Cassin's) finches. Cassin's have been reported in the area, but in very small numbers in the mountains. 

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

The angle is a little tough, but looks fine for Purple Finch to me. Next time start a new topic as some people won't go back and check the same one again. Both Purple and House seem pretty common in the area you're in, so both should be on your radar when looking at haemorhous (Purple, House and Cassin's) finches. Cassin's have been reported in the area, but in very small numbers in the mountains. 

Thank you Connor. Noted!