Whatbird Community

Any recommendations? I'm due to stock up for the winter and wondering what is popular with the feathered folk. Mostly get bushtit, downy, nuthatch, chickadee, etc so far.

We get the heaths bird blend.  There are some that are a little cheaper, but they have peanuts in it, which I’m allergic to, and those are to much of a hassle for me to safely handle. The birds seem to like it. I think it’s 18 dollars or so for a 12 pack. Most suet does just fine, but Don’t get the ones with the chili peppers in it to fend of the squirrels. Even though the squirrels won’t eat it, it seemed like the birds didn’t like it, staying away from it, always going to the normal one. If squirrels are a problem  (which they never have been for us, even though they are around) they have squirrel proof suet feeders. 

Mine like the Peanut based one the most. but i can see how that can be a problem for some.

but  the mockingbirds, wrens, bluejays and occasional woodpecker( not really near a big forest) will eat from them. 1.50 each at most big box stores that sell bird stuff.

store in fridge till needed.

i have a couple of these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Single-Metal-Suet-Bird-Feeder-Cage-New/16457404

to make them squirrel proof you just use a bread tie on the "lid" and they cant pry it open.

I tend to use plain old suet, with nothing added.  I read somewhere that squirrels don't really like the plain stuff, and I was having trouble with squirrels at the time I started using it.  I can't really tell you if it works to avoid those pesky rodents.  I've got a better bird feeder arrangement now, but I still buy the plain stuff, probably out of habit.  It's probable that different sets of birds would use it if there was something added, but I get nuthatches and woodpeckers, and a Carolina Wren who is very fond of the stuff.

@Connor Cochrane @Johnd

Thanks for the input. Thankfully I can eat peanut butter by the spoonful so that's not a problem for me. I also haven't had trouble with squirrels yet - I think my 110 lb ball of fluff in the back yard keeps them away. :classic_wink:   All that being said maybe I should get the peanut stuffed variety - might be extra popular if all my neighbors have the same issues and don't provide that option.

The C&S No-Melt Peanut flavor.  I've tried 'regular' suets but the birds in my yard don't seem to have a preference.   Because it's no-melt, I can feed it all year here in SC.   Walmart has an 8-pack for around $11.