Whatbird Community

Sorry, no pictures. I don't see warblers very often other than the large numbers of YRWA during migration so I don't have a lot of practice with them. Spotted this fella a couple of days ago in mixed forest/brush within 50' or so of a lake here in SW WA. At the time I put it down as an orange-crowned but took some brief notes since I usually consult my warbler cheat sheet to verify when I get a chance later on. After looking at my sheet and some pictures it looks like it could also fit some of the pictures of young northern Yellow warblers and I also saw an adult Wilson's at the same place. Here are my notes - can you help me narrow it down? 

"Mainly yellow, Streaked sides not belly or breast. Yellow undertail coverts (tail?),  olive'ish wings/back, faint eye ring"

21 minutes ago, SirVive said:

Sorry, no pictures. I don't see warblers very often other than the large numbers of YRWA during migration so I don't have a lot of practice with them. Spotted this fella a couple of days ago in mixed forest/brush within 50' or so of a lake here in SW WA. At the time I put it down as an orange-crowned but took some brief notes since I usually consult my warbler cheat sheet to verify when I get a chance later on. After looking at my sheet and some pictures it looks like it could also fit some of the pictures of young northern Yellow warblers and I also saw an adult Wilson's at the same place. Here are my notes - can you help me narrow it down? 

"Mainly yellow, Streaked sides not belly or breast. Yellow undertail coverts (tail?),  olive'ish wings/back, faint eye ring"

Most of that sounds like a Pine Warbler EXCEPT the yellow undertail / tail.  Can you compare your bird to a Pine?

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Most of that sounds like a Pine Warbler EXCEPT the yellow undertail / tail.  Can you compare your bird to a Pine?

Well that would be a fabulous find here:classic_cool:  ... but for sake of comparison my bird lacked any obvious white in the wings and and we're definitely into the region with too much rain for any large numbers of pine in the forest mix.

14 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

What color were the streaks on the sides and were they coarse or fine?

Middling and more to the brown/darker yellow shade - similar to the orange-crowned below but intruding less into the middle. Definitely not orange like some yellow warblers have. The attached picture of a YEWA is also close but I don't feel like my bird had that much yellow tint to the wings.

Screenshot_2020-08-28-09-33-12.png

Screenshot_2020-08-28-09-32-46.png