Whatbird Community

Site Problems and Questions for the Moderator

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi WhatBirders! Admin has restored my previous role as a site moderator. I will be adding back in some information and features we used to have, and I can help with editing, moving, and merging posts

I'm posting a response to the request for a separate sub-forum for gulls that was mentioned in another thread. I thought it better to put it here so more people will see it and be able to comment if t

Maintenance was done; looks like everything is fine now... Let me know if there are more problems.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jefferson Shank said:

@Aveschapines Is there any way to comment on the Download Files? Because people post bird ID questions on there and we can't reply to answer them...

I'm not Aveschapines but I can answer the question for you.

Go to the Downlaod Files page.

Under ''What's New'' is a photo of a bird or a topic.

Click on the one you want to see. 

Example: Mystery Warbler 1.0.0 click on it 

Under the person's name [author of the post]

Click on ''Find their other files''

On the left is a side bar...click POSTS

Click on the topic name you want / Example: Mystery Warbler 1.0.0

Scroll down to respond.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Thank you @lonesome55dove since Aveschapines didn't know the answer 😯. I honestly had never paid attention to the "downloads" feature. It seems that I as a moderator can add a message to the downloads but I'm honestly not sure what that does. If someone wants to add a test download so I can experiment that would be fine. I'm not sure I'd be monitoring this area for lost members needing ID help though, and my comment would be to post in the ID forums.

However, the first picture with an ID request that I clicked on didn't have any posts by the user; it appears they showed up, posted a picture in downloads, and didn't get any answers and have had no further activity on the site. This leaves me very confused as to how a new user wanders into the downloads area and posts their ID request there without noticing the forums and ID resources there! Also not 100% sure what exactly the downloads area is for - I guess for files that people would like to make available to share with other users? 

2 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

Thank you @lonesome55dove since Aveschapines didn't know the answer 😯. I honestly had never paid attention to the "downloads" feature. It seems that I as a moderator can add a message to the downloads but I'm honestly not sure what that does. If someone wants to add a test download so I can experiment that would be fine. I'm not sure I'd be monitoring this area for lost members needing ID help though, and my comment would be to post in the ID forums.

However, the first picture with an ID request that I clicked on didn't have any posts by the user; it appears they showed up, posted a picture in downloads, and didn't get any answers and have had no further activity on the site. This leaves me very confused as to how a new user wanders into the downloads area and posts their ID request there without noticing the forums and ID resources there! Also not 100% sure what exactly the downloads area is for - I guess for files that people would like to make available to share with other users? 

You are welcome! After I answered the question I thought, ''Yikes! I shouldn't have done that.'' but it was too late to edit my post by then.  Which ID request did you try to look at? Figuring out how to get to the ''author's'' page where there is more content is somewhat confusing and a lot of clicking.  

5 hours ago, lonesome55dove said:

You are welcome! After I answered the question I thought, ''Yikes! I shouldn't have done that.'' but it was too late to edit my post by then.  Which ID request did you try to look at? Figuring out how to get to the ''author's'' page where there is more content is somewhat confusing and a lot of clicking.  

No problem! I appreciate your help. I did get to the author's content page but there was no content there other than the download; no posts or other content. This is the download I was talking about; when you go to the user's page there's no other content there, and no posts.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:28 PM, Jefferson Shank said:

@Aveschapines What happens when our attachment quota becomes full? Mine isn't near full yet, but it is already at 12%. Will we just not be able to post photos any more or what? That would lack... 

How do you get to where you can see that?

16 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

No problem! I appreciate your help. I did get to the author's content page but there was no content there other than the download; no posts or other content. This is the download I was talking about; when you go to the user's page there's no other content there, and no posts.

Oh, good! I was afraid I'd overstepped my bounds, however, I will be more careful in the future. 🤍

Yes, some people have just posted a photo then nothing else so I think until they post more content you can not make any comments on that post. I think you can send the OP a private message tho. 🙂

32 minutes ago, lonesome55dove said:

Oh, good! I was afraid I'd overstepped my bounds, however, I will be more careful in the future. 🤍

Yes, some people have just posted a photo then nothing else so I think until they post more content you can not make any comments on that post. I think you can send the OP a private message tho. 🙂

Don't give it another thought! Many of you are more familiar with the details of the site than I may be, and about how things work in the Internet in general. Since it wasn't a case of problem behavior by a member or something like that it's great for users to help each other and me!

That's true; I didn't think of a private message but that should work. It's really too bad that apparently people have tried to get ID help this way and, I can only assume, left thinking ther was no help forthcoming. I still don't understand how they get there though, when the forums are so obvious!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 4:57 PM, Jefferson Shank said:

That's not very many!! It just means that I have been busy for a while...

I have never had more than 12 at once. I always check them before I do anything else when I get on the forum. I like to be organized.

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 1