Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Site Problems and Questions for the Moderators


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, lonestranger said:

That's the way it usually happens for me too. This time was just weird because I noticed repeats, and then it got weirder when I noticed that the repeats were in countdown mode. 

 

I don't think that'll be necessary. The notifications weren't annoying, they were just weird when scrutinized. And the easiest solution for that is to just stop scrutinizing the notifications. 😉

If the problem persists you could try turning them off and back on again. Also restarting your device is always a good thing to try.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@IKLland, do you post photos to eBird checklists?  Linking to those is one way to get photos into Whatbird.

If you're posting the photo to get an identification, it's easiest to screenshot the bird from the photo and paste the screenshot.

There's are also utilities that will reduce the file size of a photo without affecting image size.  Yes, there's some minor degradation but that won't have any affect for ID purposes.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I’m having trouble uploading photos to the forum. Every time I try, it says that the file is too large to post, but then when I downsize it to a size that actually is accepted by the forum, the photos so small you can’t tell what it is. 
 

@Kevin @aveschapinas

Is it possible that you have reached the website's upload limit?  If so, that might explain your upload problems.

Edited by lonestranger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@IKLland, do you post photos to eBird checklists?  Linking to those is one way to get photos into Whatbird.

If you're posting the photo to get an identification, it's easiest to screenshot the bird from the photo and paste the screenshot.

There's are also utilities that will reduce the file size of a photo without affecting image size.  Yes, there's some minor degradation but that won't have any affect for ID purposes.

I do put my phones on eBird and always embeds them. I’m having trouble getting screenshots to upload. Every time I upload a screenshot, it says file too large. I even tried uploading photos that aren’t screenshots and those aren’t working either. The reason I need to upload a screenshot is for the “body parts” thread. Thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BAL Land said:

Hey everyone!! This me, IKL Land. I decided to create a second account that I will use only when I need to upload images directly to the forum. (See my issues Above

So basically BAL Land’s The Mouth of Sauron but for photos? :classic_biggrin: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BAL Land said:

Hey everyone!! This me, IKL Land. I decided to create a second account that I will use only when I need to upload images directly to the forum. (See my issues Above

Be aware that you won't get any notifications when people quote you or react to the images you upload under the second account. 

Instead of a second Whatbird account, have you considered a second photo sharing website for the images that you want to upload to Whatbird but don't want to upload to eBird/Macaulay? I am certain that the upload limit on Flickr and/or Imgur would last a lot longer than a second, or third, account on Whatbird. Just a suggestion that may, or may not, save you the headaches of trying to manage two Whatbird accounts at the same time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Be aware that you won't get any notifications when people quote you or react to the images you upload under the second account. 

Instead of a second Whatbird account, have you considered a second photo sharing website for the images that you want to upload to Whatbird but don't want to upload to eBird/Macaulay? I am certain that the upload limit on Flickr and/or Imgur would last a lot longer than a second, or third, account on Whatbird. Just a suggestion that may, or may not, save you the headaches of trying to manage two Whatbird accounts at the same time.

I only need to use that second account for posting screenshots for the “body parts” and “feedback on editing” topics. Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

My uploaded audio not playable here -

The play buttons do not work.
 

Thanks

That is a problem on your end. They play just fine for me.

I have had trouble in the past with seeing videos and audio before like that, it seems to be random. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

That is a problem on your end. They play just fine for me.

I have had trouble in the past with seeing videos and audio before like that, it seems to be random. 

Ty - I cleared my browser cache, exited all webpages and reloaded the thread.  They play just fine now.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been brought up before recently or not, but just FYI, when you type in "whatbird.com" into (at least) mozilla firefox browsers, all you get to is a page showing the following message:


"Thank you for your patience.

Whatbird.com is being updated with new software and should be available soon."

However, if you use, for example, "forums.whatbird.com", then everything is cool like always.

Just thought I would notify in case it was an unknown issue.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Not sure if this has been brought up before recently or not, but just FYI, when you type in "whatbird.com" into (at least) mozilla firefox browsers, all you get to is a page showing the following message:


"Thank you for your patience.

Whatbird.com is being updated with new software and should be available soon."

However, if you use, for example, "forums.whatbird.com", then everything is cool like always.

Just thought I would notify in case it was an unknown issue.

 

The main site has been down for a while after a major hacking attack. I don't have any news about when it might be up again.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...