Whatbird Community

Site Problems and Questions for the Moderators

Guys, the posts with external links are going through approval for a day or two, because the spam posts that are bypassing the spam plugin, are the ones with links, that will be temporary, until I find out what's wrong with the plugin.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, rita said:

Guys, the posts with external links are going through approval for a day or two, because the spam posts that are bypassing the spam plugin, are the ones with links, that will be temporary, until I find out what's wrong with the plugin.

This is Quiscalus quiscula's other account, I saw that my post of my birdie results needed to be approved, and shortly afterward I was banned from the site and couldn't get through. I was only able to visit the site again after clearing my cookies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cyanocitta cristata said:

This is Quiscalus quiscula's other account, I saw that my post of my birdie results needed to be approved, and shortly afterward I was banned from the site and couldn't get through. I was only able to visit the site again after clearing my cookies.

Just checked both of your accounts, unflagged both, so you are clear... adjusted the ban settings too, I'm trying to figure this out.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dragon49 said:

Why is this word banned?

I had a post held up until I deleted the word.  Linking to an online image to get the point across. 🙂

NKelnhg.png

Yes, as explained, we were getting barraged - dozens of spams a day - with some kind of fake degree scam, and they all used that word and other similar ones. I know it's a bit of a pain, but you can misspell it, replace a letter with an asterisk, or something like that. Having to delete and ban dozens of spammers a day was a much bigger pain, and interfered with everyone's use of the site.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dragon49 said:

Did the site recently stop accepting WAV file attachments? 

I believe so. I've recently noticed a list of acceptable file types in the bottom of the message window that I dont recall seeing until the recent upgrades. Wav files are not on the list but I'm pretty sure I've clicked on a few wav files in the past.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dragon49 said:

Did the site recently stop accepting WAV file attachments?  Not a big deal, as it's easy to convert to what it does accept.  I'm pretty sure that I've attached WAV files in the past though for audio IDs.  

I had to upgrade the forums 3x in a short time, every time there is an issue, they release an update, so it's possible that they have dropped or disabled features between updates,  I didn't touch anything on the files section, but since the dashboard has way too many options, maybe they have moved it somewhere else, when I have time, I'll try to check it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/5/2023 at 4:39 AM, lonestranger said:

I believe so. I've recently noticed a list of acceptable file types in the bottom of the message window that I dont recall seeing until the recent upgrades. Wav files are not on the list but I'm pretty sure I've clicked on a few wav files in the past.

The admins have checked, and it doesn't appear that this can be adjusted; so it is probably something the platform changed in a recent update. Sorry!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, aveschapinas said:

Everyone please take a look at the message for members at the top of this page. Thanks!

When do we have to do that new sign in thing? I wasn’t asked to sing in at all-but I have my settings to “keep me signed in”. 

• Like 2