Whatbird Community
Smo6061

Dove with black tail feathers?

This dove has been hanging around my yard for about the past month. It looks like a Eurasian, but I have never seen one with dark feathers like this one. Anyone have any ideas why it's feathers look like this? Taken in Central Texas.

dark dove (2).jpg

Thank you Charlie. I thought it might be something like that. I like the Eurasion Collards too, I always have a pair here.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Smo6061 said:

Thank you Charlie. I thought it might be something like that. I like the Eurasion Collards too, I always have a pair here.

Although after thinking (for once), it could be a domestic breed instead.  @Pigegon, here's another one for you.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Although after thinking (for once), it could be a domestic breed instead.  @Pigegon, here's another one for you.

@Pigeon is the correct person to tag. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Wrong person. @Pigeon

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

@Pigeon is the correct person to tag. 🙂

Too late after a long day at work and too much time sorting sandpipers.  I'm going to bed.

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm going to bed.

Me to. Good night.

We'll see what Pigeon has to say, but the domesticated ones sold here as pets vary quite a bit in color, from pale cream to warm beige. They have begun toshow up living wild in the past several years, and those vary too, maybe not as much as the domestic ones.

Quite interesting. I know of no mutations in Eurasians or Ringnecks that would produce such a condition. If natural, I'd say melanistic. Quite possible that dove sat down in some sludge, chemical or waste and the feathers are fouled. Note the belly is also dark. However, the rest of the bird is also darkened, to a degree.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pigeon said:

Quite interesting. I know of no mutations in Eurasians or Ringnecks that would produce such a condition. If natural, I'd say melanistic. Quite possible that dove sat down in some sludge, chemical or waste and the feathers are fouled. Note the belly is also dark. However, the rest of the bird is also darkened, to a degree.

It does look a little scruffy in the dark areas; maybe it is stained.