Whatbird Community

Help me ID a bird I've never seen before

Hello - I saw a pair of birds that I've never seen before, flitting around my Mountain Ash tree and coming in to my black sunflower feeder. I live near Hastings, MN (southeast MN)  The birds were smaller than a goldfinch and sparrow. 

The head and much of the body was a darker grey, except for some faint orange feathers on the breast (of the female?) The head was very smooth and the bill was sharp and long. The (male?) was also a darker grey but had distinctive yellow parts on it's body, most noticeable when in flight - two bright yellow markings on the back feathers of the spread wings. Quick flyers. Pretty birds. I cannot find anything like it in my Nat'l Geographic backyard birds of North America guide.  Sorry, no pictures. Anyone?

Edited by Paula Smith
add'l info

They never landed on the feeder but were flying around with chickadees and gold finches, between the trees, deck and feeder, probably wondering what all the commotion was about. We got a very good look at them as they thought about landing on the feeder but didn’t. Thanks for the help!