Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
tclarkwood

Fall Migration 2020

Since we will start seeing birds move in the next several months I thought I would create this topic.  The Central and South American birds will be getting ready to make their journey back and our northern states and Canadian birds will be showing up here in South as well!  I'll be interested to see if I'll get to see a Grosbeak on his way back through and I can't wait to see the Juncos show up in late October early November! 

I haven't seen any new birds migrating down to here (Sacramento) yet, but our male Black-chinned Hummingbirds left about a week ago, heading for Central/South America, wherever they spend the winter. The females and hatch year Black-chinned are still hanging around, but I'm sure they'll be leaving soon. I'm already looking forward to seeing them return next year! One male BC always flies up to my patio door and looks in when he returns, been doing that for about 3 years now. He will hover there, bobbing his tail, til I walk up to the door, like he's saying, "I'm baa-aaack"!!! 🙂

• Like 1

I saw a female black headed grosbeak at my feeder in Lincoln MA Recently.  A first for me and I don’t think it’s common here.  For the life of me, I could find nowhere to report it.   Very frustrating, but perhaps it’s just the time of Covid.

1 hour ago, Lisa Arrowood said:

I saw a female black headed grosbeak at my feeder in Lincoln MA Recently.  A first for me and I don’t think it’s common here.  For the life of me, I could find nowhere to report it.   Very frustrating, but perhaps it’s just the time of Covid.

Most birders use eBird. Its the best way of reporting rarities. If it is a Black-headed Grosbeak, and not a Rose-breasted, that is definitely rare and should be reported. 

Fall Migration has been pretty good for me in Costal California. Ive gotten my first winter waterfowl, some Brant in the Ocean. Hummingbirds have been great, I've got a good amount of Rufous, and found a Ruby-Throated, really rare in California. Only easter n vagrant I've had this fall was a Hooded Warbler. Western Birds are c coming down though. I've been seeing many Cassin's Vireo, a few MacGillvary's and Nashville Warblers, all pretty difficult birds along the coast. Hopefully the vagrants pick up soon.

Today I saw my first black and white warbler on an amelanchier tree right outside my kitchen window here in Lincoln Massachusetts. I glanced up and my first reaction was “ what? that’s a striped nuthatch?”  because it was moving on the tree trunk and branches like a nuthatch.  On second look, I could see it was a warbler.  Very exciting.  Yesterday I saw a warbler or vireo I couldn’t identify.  I was on a business call so couldn’t really study it.  That is so frustrating!

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 5:51 PM, Bird Brain said:

I haven't seen any new birds migrating down to here (Sacramento) yet, but our male Black-chinned Hummingbirds left about a week ago, heading for Central/South America, wherever they spend the winter. The females and hatch year Black-chinned are still hanging around, but I'm sure they'll be leaving soon. I'm already looking forward to seeing them return next year! One male BC always flies up to my patio door and looks in when he returns, been doing that for about 3 years now. He will hover there, bobbing his tail, til I walk up to the door, like he's saying, "I'm baa-aaack"!!! 🙂

My Black-chinned Hummingbirds have all departed.  The Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have moved in to fatten up for their flight across the Gulf of Mexico.  "El Gordo" appears to have a double chin!

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

• Like 1

Ha ha!  That hummingbird is already pretty fat!  I hate to see how big he is going to be when he is at full capacity because he is going to struggle to carry that load across the Gulf!  :classic_laugh:

On 9/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, Connor Cochrane said:

Fall Migration has been pretty good for me in Costal California. Ive gotten my first winter waterfowl, some Brant in the Ocean. Hummingbirds have been great, I've got a good amount of Rufous, and found a Ruby-Throated, really rare in California. Only easter n vagrant I've had this fall was a Hooded Warbler. Western Birds are c coming down though. I've been seeing many Cassin's Vireo, a few MacGillvary's and Nashville Warblers, all pretty difficult birds along the coast. Hopefully the vagrants pick up soon.

I've seen a very rare Cassin's Vireo from the other side of the rockies! An exciting lifer!

(BTW, I did report it on ebird)

Still a few Ruby-throats coming through. The temperature is getting down to the upper 40s at night in North Alabama so I am sure that they will be putting it in high gear to get back south in a rush.  So far the baffle on my new feeder station is working well.  It has been over 2 weeks and all of my seeds and suet have only been eaten by the birds.  I have a lot of squirrels and raccoons so i am sure it is being tested quite often. 

Migration is starting to pick up in NC. A Magnolia Warbler passed through our yard and I saw a Cape May and Kirtland's Warbler at a local nature preserve.

Three rose breasted grosbeaks migrating together headed south . Looked like one juvenile male and two females. Could have been three juvenile males. 12FFD2B1-619E-450F-B02B-AD7E64083E27.thumb.png.77c74c62eca46acdcd055a57f8a689fa.png

I have a Grosbeak Battle Royale going on during the remnants of hurricane delta today. There are 5-6 grosbeaks trying to all fit on one hopper feeder. A lot of squabbling!  

1F36CA45-C908-41F9-B1F9-E63A3BC0E5A9.jpeg