Whatbird Community
ivorybilledbirder

Little blue Heron? As well as some vireos (and a warbler) in Delaware... blurry

Alright, so! I'm a bit hesitant to submit these to eBird juuuust yet-- they're all blurry and far-out, and while I've got some good ideas of what I'm seeing, it really comes down to needing someone with more experience.

1. Little Blue Heron, or Snowy Egret? This bird was seen far, far out in the marshes near Delaware's only nesting colony of LBHE. Though there were some birds perched out in the water that were tricky to figure out, this one was more clearly... heron-sized? Heron-shaped? With the legs a big more pea-green.

2. I can't tell if these following two vireos were the same as not. Taken last week during the migration through your average Delaware State Forest (Blackbird SF, Tybout Tract). Color/lighting might've been a bit odd that day; the trees had a lot of activity, so it's possible there were more than one. The first is pretty clearly a red-eye. But the second... I lightened the image and the throat and rump really popped out, even though the nape was still very grey and soft. Philly?

3. Though I figured out most of the migrating warblers I came across-- same place-- this one got me really stuck. It looked like it had a pretty strong eye-ring, looking in close enough. Wilson's Warbler? Canada Warbler? I was leaning to Canada Warbler because it looked like there were dark markings across the neck, but it's hard to say.

Little Blue Heron 2- Ashton Tract.JPG

Little Blue Heron- Ashton Tract.JPG

DSCN0015.JPG

Philadelphia Vireo, lightened- Blackbird State Forest.JPG

Unknown Warbler- Blackbird State Forest.JPG

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Bluish blue, greenish legs; I like immature Little Blue.

I assume you noticed the Great Blue to the left.

Yep! I definitely noticed the GBH, haha. I didn't notice at the time though, did a good job blending in.

I agree that the Heron is a Little Blue, but it's really difficult to see any of the other birds. Could you crop both the vireo and the warbler, the compression on this website means I can't see anything.

17 minutes ago, ivorybilledbirder said:

Yep! I definitely noticed the GBH, haha. I didn't notice at the time though, did a good job blending in.

I had one like that recently.  Took photos of a Little Blue, and it was only when I was looking at the photos that I saw the Greenie behind the LBHE.

Canada Warbler seems like a reasonable suggestion for the first one (last in the original post), but I don't think we're going to get any sort of certainty without better photos. The second (third in the original post) is a Warbling/Philadelphia Vireo, but again there's just no way we're going to be able to separate them from these pics.

For clarity's sake, the second bird in the original post is a Red-eyed Vireo, as Avery suggested.