Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
thering0010

Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk?

Hi there!

I never thought I'd find myself on a bird identification forum, but here I am. My father-in-law and I spotted a large, white bird-of-prey flying around our property, and after a lengthy search online, the best guess we can come up with is a leucistic red-tailed hawk. We'd like to know what the experts think! Unfortunately, these are the best pictures I could get before it flew away, but hopefully you can get a good enough view!

Thanks for the help in advance!

P.S. I'm having some trouble getting the image insertion system to work, so I'm just including the links to the images on Flickr.

Bird In Flight

Bird Perched On Branch

Edited by thering0010
Accidentally included quote box

Welcome to Whatbird!

I can't ID your raptor but I can help with your photos.  The easiest way is to drag the file or photo into the text box.  Type your message and then drag the photo in underneath it.

Also, please include the location of your sightings.  That's often crucial in getting a correct ID.  Thanks!

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Certainly looks like a leucistic Red-tailed Hawk! I think I can see a speck of red on the tail. Cool find!

• Like 1

Yeah, the seemingly randomness of colored feathers on this bird make me think leucistic. Cool bird!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Welcome to Whatbird!

I can't ID your raptor but I can help with your photos.  The easiest way is to drag the file or photo into the text box.  Type your message and then drag the photo in underneath it.

Also, please include the location of your sightings.  That's often crucial in getting a correct ID.  Thanks!

Thank you! Unfortunately, Flickr isn't being very cooperative with me, and I can't seem to just drag the file into the box. I would just upload the files themselves, but they are too big. The bird was sighted in Central Michigan.

Thanks again!