Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
gpoole

which Plover? and which Phalarope?

I've narrowed it down to Black-bellied or American Golden Plover and Red-necked or Red Phalarope but now I'm stuck. Can someone help? Thanks.

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

• Like 1

Definitely American Golden-Plover, not bright enough for Pacific. OP, please make sure to include location in post.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

. OP, please make sure to include location in post.

It's in the tag 

• Thanks 1

I think this looks like a Black-bellied Plover.  I has a pale face and no discernible supercilium.  The head and bill look larger than an American Golden-Plover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the bill is heftier than an AMGP, and I remember that @Melierax said something about the undertail coverts being a good field mark. Don't want to misquote...

I'm split. It dosen't have a dark cap, which is a field mark for golden plover, but the wing projection off the tail is long, which is good for golden-plover. I've never seen a BBPL looks so yellow before though, so I'm still going to lean AMGP

Edited by Connor Cochrane

I thought BBPL couldn't be this yellow, but no, there are plenty of photos on ebird of brighter birds than this. Presumably it's a hy bird.The pale cape and pale belly below are pretty damning for Golden Plover IMO.

14 hours ago, Avery said:

I think the bill is heftier than an AMGP, and I remember that @Melierax said something about the undertail coverts being a good field mark. Don't want to misquote...

Yep I said that. Only works for adult birds. The bill on this one looks pretty slight but the second photos definitely doesn't look like golden-plover to me. Just looking at Sibley's, the top of the tail in BBPL is starkly black and white whereas in golden plovers it's kinda buffy. Not sure if that's reliable but based on that this bird is a BBPL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1