Whatbird Community
Aidan B

Scaup in Sacramento, California

Had a crazy encounter yesterday night, I was fishing at a local pond and had a two scaup swim right up to me. Hoping I can confirm whether they are greater or lesser, although that may not be possible. My guess is lesser based on the inland location and the fact that the crown seems to be in the back of the head in the photos. Sorry for the low quality photos but they where the best I could get with my phone. How I wished I had my good camera when I saw them. 

Thanks for the help with the identification.

20200916_141626.jpg

20200916_142522.jpg

20200916_143246.jpg

20200916_142434.jpg

I have no idea how I blanked on such an easy bird, I guess since I haven't seen one recently I just kind of assumed they were scaup. This makes more sense as well as they were in a small pond instead of on a lake or other large body of water where I usually see scaup. 

Thanks for the help with the identification

Edited by Aidan B

1 hour ago, Aidan B said:

I have no idea how I blanked on such an easy bird, I guess since I haven't seen one recently I just kind of assumed they were scaup. This makes more sense as well as they were in a small pond instead of on a lake or other large body of water where I usually see scaup. 

Thanks for the help with the identification

Don't feel bad. Several years ago I got some good photos of a lone Duck on a small pond and put it on here asking the same question....Lesser or Greater Scaup? It was immediately IDed as a Ring-necked Duck, which was a lifer for me!! 😀

• Like 1