Whatbird Community

Hello all.

I’ve been seeing a yellowish warbler at my suet feeder for around 4 days now. I’ve looked in my field guide, but I’m still not quite sure. The pictures are pretty bad, so I’ll give a description too.

Background Info: I live in West Michigan. The area has lots of farmland, but loads of trees too. 

Bird: The warbler overall appears yellow, and in flight I thought it was a goldfinch. It is slightly yellower in the breast, and a touch darker/more olive colored on top, but   top and bottom are very similar in color. There is no streaking/markings on the breast, wings, or tail. There is a pale stripe above the eye. It appears to be white under the tail. Picture below.

I also have seen a bird similar to the one described above, only with two white bars on the wings. And another with no white bars, but a gray head, and no eye stripe. Any ideas on these? Wasn’t able to take pics.

again, sorry for the bad photos.

49528363-4AD8-4B88-8E8A-81027FB0E7B8.jpeg

C11208AC-B721-4434-93EC-F087D01B73DC.jpeg

D539EE6D-E721-4FCD-8ACB-90A3BFDDBD45.jpeg

Edited by FishkaFishka

My initial impression was orange-crowned. But the undertail coverts appeared to me to be white, the photo was just shadowed. So I figured it was a Tennessee. 

Thanks so much. 😊 Many warblers look very similar to this new birder, but I'm loving my field guide. 

There was a very faint dark line through the eye. But it was very, very faint. It doesn't show well in the photo. Next time it comes around I'll take a good look. I don't think it's an orange-crowned, the undertail coverts are not yellow. But the rest of the underside is mostly dingy yellow.

Edited by FishkaFishka

The line is faint on a Tennessee. I've never seen an Orange-crowned, but the white eyebrow doesn't seem to fit for Tennessee, although the rest seems to...

If you can get it to show its face for a photo that would help!

OK - I take it back; the eyebrow is more obvious than I remembered! I'm leaning towards Tennessee if you saw the eyeline.

image.thumb.png.8074e523946057e6b0adfc5794c2f7cb.png

Tennessee break in 2.jpg

• Like 1

I added another one to show the wing patterns and colors on the body better. Once I went back and looked at these pictures again I was more convinced of Tennessee, but I repeat I've never seen an Orange-Crowned so can't help too much with the differential on that. That face to me is distinctive and it's what I often use to identify Tennessees. The males are a little more colorful (yellow underneath brighter green on top) and they are a little duller this time of year. They are visitors here so I mostly see them in non-breeding plumage. The undertai coverts can be yellowish on first winter males, according to my Sibley's 😄