Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
AlexHenry

Ashy vs Black SP Help

Saw a dark-rumped Storm-Petrel in San Francisco Bay today. I have seen a spare few (two) Ashy in the Bay before. However I think this bird may have been a Black. It looked large, and proportionately long-winged, with pointy wings. It flew low over the water in level, direct commuting flight with fairly deep wingbeats, not as “fluttery” as other storm-petrels I’ve seen. This all seems good for Black. However, it did not glide in the entire time I watched it - over a minute of flight.

Thoughts?

Edited by AlexHenry

10 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Saw a dark-rumped Storm-Petrel in San Francisco Bay today. I have seen a spare few (two) Ashy in the Bay before. However I think this bird may have been a Black. It looked large, and proportionately long-winged, with pointy wings. It flew low over the water in level, direct commuting flight with fairly deep wingbeats, not as “fluttery” as other storm-petrels I’ve seen. This all seems good for Black. However, it did not glide in the entire time I watched it - over a minute of flight.

Thoughts?

Just by the chance of one occurring, I would say it’s unlikely. There pretty rare even out by the farallons. The only record in the bay is by Bob Richmond, who saw one 30 years ago with no description. Ashys are seen in the bay frequently (compared to black), around once a year. 

Yes this bird is definitely going to be left as “storm-petrel sp”. Because I could not conclusively ID it at the time. I realize Ashy is much more expected in the Bay. Just wondering. I have no previous experience with Black Storm-Petrel.

Edited by AlexHenry