Whatbird Community

21 minutes ago, hbvol50 said:

Looks like a Brewer's female

That would make me a happy camper.

Both are "rare" at the moment so I have posted it as Rusty but commented on the dark eye and will see what the reviewer thinks.

Any chance you have a good profile showing the tail length? Brewer's are notably long-tailed, while Rusty has tails of similar proportion to that of Red-winged, that is, not particularly notable.

Eye color changes in Rusty from dark in the nest to light yellow in its first fall. Perhaps this bird is just slow in getting pale eyes, as the overall brightness of the plumage certainly suggests Rusty.

57 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Any chance you have a good profile showing the tail length?

Thanks for the follow-up but none of the other photos I have are more definitive for tail length than the ones I posted.

I submitted two "rare" sightings for eBird yesterday - the first was accepted but this one which I posted as Rusty was not accepted so it seems the reviewer is leaning Brewer's.

I don't really know why the bird has a dark eye, but I just don't see how this could be a Brewer's. The plumage is far too reddish, and those 'rusty' wingbars are distinctive for Rusty Blackbird.

Other than the eye, this is a slam-dunk Rusty.

• Like 1