Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

Kevin

On 5/17/2023 at 11:53 AM, Birds are cool said:

I went to work for an old friend who fell on his back a couple of days ago, and can't do much. I didn't think I was going to be able to bird, but I skipped lunch and went birding. Of course I didn't bring any of my camera gear. I missed a ton of photos, and saw 3 rare BWHA! It was still nice to get out.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S138136705

:classic_sad: I hope he/she gets better soon! I certainly hope it isn’t permanent/long term, is it? I hope you don’t mind me asking… Nice list by the way. 

Edited by Snake Fingers
  • Thanks 1

Great day!

Good number of species.  I got four more species here than two weeks ago where I covered the same distance.  I wonder whether showing up an hour earlier had something to do that.  

I was hoping for a King Rail photo lifer, but I ran into the same issue as the last trip here.  I heard the bird in the exact spot where I took my lifer from audio, however, I gave up on the visual search after twenty minutes.  I wasn't about to walk into the marsh where I had no idea how far I would sink in at any point and would put myself in danger of alligator attacks.

See the checklist notes for more details:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S138578249

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

Great day!

Good number of species.  I got four more species here than two weeks ago where I covered the same distance.  I wonder whether showing up an hour earlier had something to do that.  

I was hoping for a King Rail photo lifer, but I ran into the same issue as the last trip here.  I heard the bird in the exact spot where I took my lifer from audio, however, I gave up on the visual search after twenty minutes.  I wasn't about to walk into the marsh where I had no idea how far I would sink in at any point and would put myself in danger of alligator attacks.

See the checklist notes for more details:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S138578249

Is the 9 miles one way or including backtracking? 

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

Is the 9 miles one way or including backtracking? 

One way.  I know to subtract backtracking from checklists.  I actually subtracted around .15 miles from the final distance, as I was carefully measuring backtracking.  I took an Uber back to the parking lot where I started, as I neither had the daylight, nor the water, nor the energy to make the return trip.

Edited by dragon49

9 hours ago, dragon49 said:

One way.  I know to subtract backtracking from checklists.  I actually subtracted around .15 miles from the final distance, as I was carefully measuring backtracking.  I took an Uber back to the parking lot where I started, as I neither had the daylight, nor the water, nor the energy to make the return trip.

If that’s the case, I would’ve mad at least two lists. EBird doesn’t wants checklists limited to 5 miles max(without backtracking). 

46 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Nice list! Somewhat sad to see all the hybridization, but man, Lawrence's is a cool looking bird

Yeah, it’s worrisome for the GWWA’s longevity, though they may be considered the same species in the future. And yeah, Lawrence’s is like the best of both worlds!

• Like 3