Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!


Kevin
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

What is the definition of too hot?

90F. Theres no water so the birds aren't out at all. The heat wave ended so I should be fine. I'm sure that's what you get year around, but from August-October the temperature is usually over 100 on the ridge, and when there's no water, it's not fun for me or the birds.

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

90F. Theres no water so the birds aren't out at all. The heat wave ended so I should be fine. I'm sure that's what you get year around, but from August-October the temperature is usually over 100 on the ridge, and when there's no water, it's not fun for me or the birds.

And we just got snow...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That was a week ago. Were down to around 80 on average, and today is cool, its 75!

"Cool" 😂 I don't think I would survive the winter over there, or the summer for that matter. As a Vermonter, I boil at 85 degrees outside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Avery said:

"Cool" 😂 I don't think I would survive the winter over there, or the summer for that matter. As a Vermonter, I boil at 85 degrees outside.

I'm from New York (City), and then Northern New Jersey, and I like the cold. I can survive those days in the negatives. It took me a while to get used to this weather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I'm from New York (City), and then Northern New Jersey, and I like the cold. I can survive those days in the negatives. It took me a while to get used to this weather.

It's the opposite for me. I come from Upstate New York and I hated the cold weather. Now that we're in North Carolina, I'm thriving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a pretty good day today, I saw the first bobcat I've seen at my patch, and got high counts of hermit thrush, purple finch, wrentit, belted kingfisher, and beat my previous high count of rufous crowned sparrows by one with total of eighteen birds. That was a high count I though I would never break. Horned lark was a really good bird for here too. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75720398

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been pretty jealous of everyone’s checklists on here. Can’t even imagine seeing all those species in one trip.

I’ve been averaging only ~12 species on my morning walk with nothing worth mentioning. Most exciting thing I saw was 20 gray partridge the other day. Other than that just drowning in magpies and mallards! 
Too embarrassed to post any of them. 😂

Guess I gotta go to the mountains or something 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I ran into the most friendly hawk I've ever seen today, followed me down the community garden fence a good while as I was looking for sparrows and finches. It eventually grabbed a white crowned sparrow after about fifteen minutes of following me and took off. I assume that it has learned to follow people down that fence as the people gardening will flush the sparrows as they walk. Also saw a chipping sparrow, quiet a rare bird here in the Sacramento area during the winter. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S76350175

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

I ran into the most friendly hawk I've ever seen today, followed me down the community garden fence a good while as I was looking for sparrows and finches. It eventually grabbed a white crowned sparrow after about fifteen minutes of following me and took off. I assume that it has learned to follow people down that fence as the people gardening will flush the sparrows as they walk. Also saw a chipping sparrow, quiet a rare bird here in the Sacramento area during the winter. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S76350175

I think that Sharp-shinned Hawk might be a Cooper's Hawk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...