Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably the best bird I have ever found.  Bucket List bird - Self-found, Michigan Review Species, and in my home county.  This potentially great shorebird spot had normal SOSA, WISN and KILL there, a

My checklist of the day; WORK! 

Amazing day at my patch, lots of birds moving and singing right now, which led to lots of new high counts for my patch. these were, Lincoln's sparrow, Rufous-crowned Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, Anna's hu

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

I’m confused about your comments on the Cardinal’s subspecies. Isn’t it kind of a “duh” that it isn’t of the Mexican ssp?!? :classic_unsure:

yes, but sometimes ssp are flagged as rare when they look similar to other ssp, even if they are expected. For example, Black phoebe(northern) and house finch(common) along with many more are flagged as rare by my reviewer, because they want and exclamation why it's that ssp and not something else. I normally just say expected ssp for those. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

I’m confused about your comments on the Cardinal’s subspecies. Isn’t it kind of a “duh” that it isn’t of the Mexican ssp?!? :classic_unsure:

Pretty much exactly as @IKLlandsaid. The regional reviewer for my home county wants to make sure those who report subspecies aren't just reporting it because it isn't rare. Therefore, I need to give a short reason, and generally a longer, more in depth one every once in a while. Other county's in VT vary in what subspecies are flagged and which ones aren't. I'm kind of among the first wave of people to regularly report subspecies in VT, so there has been more and more ssp being added to the filters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Avery said:

The regional reviewer for my home county wants to make sure those who report subspecies aren't just reporting it because it isn't rare.

Same. I usually say expected ssp, but they ask more questions and i add more info.....

Amazing day at my patch, lots of birds moving and singing right now, which led to lots of new high counts for my patch. these were, Lincoln's sparrow, Rufous-crowned Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, Anna's hummingbird, both Myrtle and Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warblers, Oak Titmouse, and Red-shouldered hawk. In addition, there was a really interesting Song Sparrow that was singing a extremely weird song and was super light in color. It is so nice to be hearing all the birds singing again. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S84139983

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 5
19 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I wonder what's up, dead Western-screech and Hermit Thrush, and they are both fresh.

WSOW got hit by a car. It was in the road when we saw it. Probably the day before we were there and the Hermit Thrush was on a barbed wire fence so...