Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

Spring migration has been extremely slow this year here in Sacramento, the numbers have been way down compared to previous years. I did have my best day of migration yet this year earlier today, although it wasn't anything like it was last year at this date. However, there seemed to be a ton more hummingbirds around than usual, they must have been migrating in pretty good numbers last night. Luckily there's lots of resident birds to find as well! I didn't to to shabby with the number of species seen today either. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S86062655

Edited by Aidan B
  • Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My checklist of the day; WORK! 

Probably the best bird I have ever found.  Bucket List bird - Self-found, Michigan Review Species, and in my home county.  This potentially great shorebird spot had normal SOSA, WISN and KILL there, a

Lifer Yellow-billed Loon! https://ebird.org/checklist/S80713862

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Spring migration has been extremely slow this year here in Sacramento, the numbers have been way down compared to previous years. I did have my best day of migration yet this year earlier today, although it wasn't anything like it was last year at this date. However, there seemed to be a ton more hummingbirds around than usual, they must have been migrating in pretty good numbers last night. Luckily there's lots of resident birds to find as well! I didn't to to shabby with the number of species seen today either. 

You can’t say it’s slow when you have a Dusky Flycatcher. 

7 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

You can’t say it’s slow when you have a Dusky Flycatcher. 

I guess I'm pretty lucky, but my patch is just barely within the expected migration route for the species, It  also helps that it's a great area for empids. Dusky, Gray, Hammond's, Willow, and Pacific slope are all somewhat common at my patch when migration is going strong. My patch is mostly thicker Oak Savanah on the side of hills, which empids love. 

Edited by Aidan B
7 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

I guess I'm pretty lucky, but my patch is just barely within the expected migration route for the species, It  also helps that it's a great area for empids. Dusky, Gray, Hammond's, Willow, and Pacific slope are all somewhat common at my patch when migration is going strong. My patch is mostly thicker Oak Savanah on the side of hills, which empids love. 

That’s the advantage of the valley. I’m close to Oak Savannah and there may be a few pac slopes if I’m lucky. On the other hand, BTYW are everywhere here. 

8 hours ago, Aidan B said:

That’s nearly twice the the size of my best checklist!!!

I can't get out birding today so here's a list from a few days ago. I went out birding at Lake Camanche in Amador County by boat, and got a whole bunch of Passerines! Something that struck me as very odd is that Horned Grebe was flagged as rare, which didn't make any sense to me. The filter for that county is very weird. Herring Gull is flagged as rare in November, and Warbling Vireo isn't flagged in Feburary. The number of Rock Wrens was absolutly insane! Seeing swifts nesting on the natural sides of cliffs was a big treat as well!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S85811920

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, blackburnian said:

Hey, I think I ran into you today and even pointed out the Solitary to you! I was wearing glasses and a green shirt. 

Neat! I wish I could bump into somebody from Whatbird out in the field. 😒

1 hour ago, blackburnian said:

Hey, I think I ran into you today and even pointed out the Solitary to you! I was wearing glasses and a green shirt. 

It was nice meeting you, maybe we'll see each other again sometime!

Edited by BlueJay
grammar
  • Like 2