Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably the best bird I have ever found.  Bucket List bird - Self-found, Michigan Review Species, and in my home county.  This potentially great shorebird spot had normal SOSA, WISN and KILL there, a

https://ebird.org/checklist/S88783128   This list highlights one of my favorite eBird things to do: Hit poorly-visited hotspots hard. Four species on this list were new for the hotspot and it i

My checklist of the day; WORK! 

Posted Images

only 63 species. Spring migration has been very slow here so far for me, even at this hotspot from today, which is one of the top 10 spots for  birding in the county(all year), ( great for migration, and other times of year, too!), I couldn't do better. No lifers, but a few nice shots. Still can't find Ash-throated flycatcher, Bell's vireo, Hermit Warbler, Lazuli bunting, along with a few other common migrant/summer birds here. Of course, the more uncommon ones should be doable, too!( cassin's vireo, etc. 

whatever. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S86865968

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

only 63 species. Spring migration has been very slow here so far for me, even at this hotspot from today, which is one of the top 10 spots for  birding in the county(all year), ( great for migration, and other times of year, too!), I couldn't do better. No lifers, but a few nice shots. Still can't find Ash-throated flycatcher, Bell's vireo, Hermit Warbler, Lazuli bunting, along with a few other common migrant/summer birds here. Of course, the more uncommon ones should be doable, too!( cassin's vireo, etc. 

whatever. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S86865968

This seems like a good spot for a lot of those species: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1912052

8 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

This seems like a good spot for a lot of those species: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1912052

I know, I’ve never been there for one reason. Mountain lions. I’ve heard that there are at least 20 in the park, and 2 people have been attacked in the past30 years. I’m terrified. Thanks anyway! 

On 5/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, IKLland said:

I know, I’ve never been there for one reason. Mountain lions. I’ve heard that there are at least 20 in the park, and 2 people have been attacked in the past30 years. I’m terrified. Thanks anyway! 

While I understand your fear of Mountain Lions, and everyone should have a natural fear of any animal capable of killing them, I think your fear needs to be put into perspective. Look at the number of people that have been killed by a car while walking across the road in your town/city over the past thirty years, will you stop crossing the road?  Not likely. Similar to being mauled by a black bear in Algonquin Park, the chance is there, but the truth of the matter is, you're more likely to be killed in a car accident on your way to the park than you are to be killed by a wild animal in the park.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

While I understand your fear of Mountain Lions, and everyone should have a natural fear of any animal capable of killing them, I think your fear needs to be put into perspective. Look at the number of people that have been killed by a car while walking across the road in your town/city over the past thirty years, will you stop crossing the road?  Not likely. Similar to being mauled by a black bear in Algonquin Park, the chance is there, but the truth of the matter is, you're more likely to be killed in a car accident on your way to the park than you are to be killed by a wild animal in the park.

Agreed. The chances of being attacked are so slim, and if your in a group that drops to almost none. Anyways, it would be cool to see a Mountain Lion, I have still not seen one. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

27 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Agreed. The chances of being attacked are so slim, and if your in a group that drops to almost none. Anyways, it would be cool to see a Mountain Lion, I have still not seen one. 

This.

27 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Anyways, it would be cool to see a Mountain Lion, I have still not seen one. 

Totally agree!

27 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

What were the lifers?

Wilson's Warbler and..... Hmmm, I thougt I had seen a Baird's Sandpiper before, I must have had it set for this year only when I looked at that. So I only got one lifer.

• Like 1
Just now, Kevin said:

Wilson's Warbler and..... Hmmm, I thougt I had seen a Baird's Sandpiper before, I must have had it set for this year only when I looked at that. So I only got one lifer.

Neat!

6 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Neat!

Thanks!

By the way, the House Wrens are the new high count and the latest record of them in Palo Pinto!

• Like 1
On 5/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, IKLland said:

If it makes you feel better, you could carry bear spray while your there, and read up on what to do if you get confronted by one. 

• Like 2