Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

Kevin

1 minute ago, Birding Boy said:

I feel like they curve around my county specifically...along with the other small tern sp 😒

Are those rare in Kansas? They’re one of the more common thrush sp here.

They’re harder to get here than Hermit or Swainson’s, I’ll say that!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

40 species on your bike ride home from school? How long is it? What habitat is it? 

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

40 species on your bike ride home from school? How long is it? What habitat is it? 

The main area I’m checking is a really good fennel patch (which I think could turn up a Dusky Warbler), but it also goes through a little residential and forest. 

6E58C2DE-87DD-466C-A2CE-4A78A1814D76.thumb.jpeg.c439c9acd61bf2d1d0fe9a216352ff6a.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

The main area I’m checking is a really good fennel patch (which I think could turn up a Dusky Warbler), but it also goes through a little residential and forest. 

6E58C2DE-87DD-466C-A2CE-4A78A1814D76.thumb.jpeg.c439c9acd61bf2d1d0fe9a216352ff6a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I be their annual in the area, Phyloscopus are just really hard to detect and show up in areas that don’t get as regularly covered. 

Whoops, thought you messed up and meant Dusky Flycatcher! 😂 Sorry about that. I guess I forgot there was a Dusky Warbler.

• Haha 1

It was however, a very good morning for typical birding, and would have been great for vismig watching if I had been somewhere with a better vantage point earlier. I had the most warblers I’ve ever seen in fall on a single checklist, and two FOYs. Tripped a couple high counts 😛

https://ebird.org/checklist/S94036170

Wow! Great! 58 species is crazy. How do you have so many Redstarts? Need them badly over here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Wow! Great! 58 species is crazy. How do you have so many Redstarts? Need them badly over here.

This is not an average morning in my area! The redstart count is a personal high for me. They should be moving through your area as well, I’d check recent reports in your area for good warbler places. 

• Like 2

This is not an average morning in my area! The redstart count is a personal high for me. They should be moving through your area as well, I’d check recent reports in your area for good warbler places. 

Yeah, problem is my county isn't birded a ton. Seems like one was last seen a couple of days ago in some obscure spot in a neighborhood.

6 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah, problem is my county isn't birded a ton. Seems like one was last seen a couple of days ago in some obscure spot in a neighborhood.

Yup, I’d just find a park if possible then with some low bushes and understory type of stuff early in the morning, and listen for their high pitched flight and interaction calls. Hopefully you can get some warbs. 

• Like 2

Just now, Birding Boy said:

Yup, I’d just find a park if possible then with some low bushes and understory type of stuff early in the morning, and listen for their high pitched flight and interaction calls. Hopefully you can get some warbs. 

Guess what I did earlier today...Anyway tomorrow and the day after are supposed to be high migration, so I'll get out and try again then.

• Sad 1