Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

Kevin

So technically this is the checklist for yesterday, but I still thought I might share this one.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S95117293

First look at a breeding plumaged male Wood Duck, although Wood Ducks are very common at this patch. Wonder what it was doing in breeding plumage this time of year. First White-throated Sparrow reported to eBird and first at this location, I usually get them in my yard during migration. It was nice to see a large flock of grackles, and only the second time I saw a Magnolia Warbler, a female or immature just in the neighborhood. There was this warbler at the same location singing, but annoyingly wasn't able to get a recording, and all the warbler recording we listened to didn't match the one we heard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

First look at a breeding plumaged male Wood Duck, although Wood Ducks are very common at this patch.

Lucky, my only Wood Duck was a very distant and very brief fly by that I barely saw even though they’re supposed to be very common here. 😭

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Come over here! There are almost always a few Wood Ducks lingering around. I only require a few Killdeer in exchange!

Definitely, I needed someone to give all the Killdeer to. :classic_tongue:

Edited by PalmWarbler
jk
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Not too many species overall given the time of day, but I found a nice pocket of activity, which contained a Northern Waterthrush, my first for the county this year, and just in the nick of time. He'll probably depart in a day or so with the north winds. https://ebird.org/checklist/S95224852

Nice! I'd like Yellow-throated Vireo some time.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 3:59 PM, PalmWarbler said:

Lucky, my only Wood Duck was a very distant and very brief fly by that I barely saw even though they’re supposed to be very common here. 😭

come to KS! I've seen seven breeding males and a female in our creek at one time.

• Like 2