Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

Kevin

I planned to go out Gulling for around hour and a half today, but it somehow turned into five and a half hours! An amazing day at this spot, I've never gotten more than 65 species here before, and I got 87 today. I also took a total of 5918 photos, which was probably a few too many.(I've been editing photos for hours) the Highlight was definitely the Tundra Swan, I've never ha such good looks before.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98028633

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Kevin said:

Lifer and state rarity, Northern Shrike!!!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98070868

Congrats man! So many individual ducks on your list. 😄

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Yesterday’s checklist, but whatever. My second unsuccessful rarity chase (0 for 2 😢) Still got some good birds in though.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98083039

that's a bummer, sorry you dipped. 😞 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kadynn_H said:

Congrats man! So many individual ducks on your list. 😄

that's a bummer, sorry you dipped. 😞 

I suspect (if it was even there) that it was way out in the center of the lake in a small flock (the one I picked out the Franklin’s and the Herring from) with a bunch of Ringers. All others besides the aforementioned in parentheses *appeared* to be RBGU, but I bet my Cali was hiding in there somewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seanbirds said:

I suspect (if it was even there) that it was way out in the center of the lake in a small flock (the one I picked out the Franklin’s and the Herring from) with a bunch of Ringers. All others besides the aforementioned in parentheses *appeared* to be RBGU, but I bet my Cali was hiding in there somewhere.

Yeah, picking out a single gull can be hard. a few years ago at Lake Manawa someone spotted a SBGU in a flock of 25,000 RBGU. I was there at the same time and never saw it. Just too many birds to sort through. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kadynn_H said:

Yeah, picking out a single gull can be hard. a few years ago at Lake Manawa someone spotted a SBGU in a flock of 25,000 RBGU. I was there at the same time and never saw it. Just too many birds to sort through. 

In my case the only reason I couldn’t find it was because I didn’t have enough range. There were only like 30 gulls in that flock. No scope is a big minus for birding at a lake.

• Like 3