Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably the best bird I have ever found.  Bucket List bird - Self-found, Michigan Review Species, and in my home county.  This potentially great shorebird spot had normal SOSA, WISN and KILL there, a

My checklist of the day; WORK! 

Lifer Yellow-billed Loon! https://ebird.org/checklist/S80713862

Posted Images

I got myself a new camera the other day and this is the first time I tried it out! However, worst possible photography conditions, as it was one of those overcast, gray, depressing days but definitely was fun seeing what a DSLR is capable of! Didn’t get any really good shots of anything, but had a fun time trying to go for photos that would have been impossible to get with my P600. Still very much need to figure out how to use it and such, but I love thinking about its potential. 

Also finally saw a great horned owl which has been eluding me at this hotspot. And I’ve been here a lot!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S77933395

13 hours ago, Aaron said:

I got myself a new camera the other day and this is the first time I tried it out! However, worst possible photography conditions, as it was one of those overcast, gray, depressing days but definitely was fun seeing what a DSLR is capable of! Didn’t get any really good shots of anything, but had a fun time trying to go for photos that would have been impossible to get with my P600. Still very much need to figure out how to use it and such, but I love thinking about its potential. 

Also finally saw a great horned owl which has been eluding me at this hotspot. And I’ve been here a lot!

What type of camera body did you get?

10 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That's my new set up. I've had the lens for a little bit now, and now I have the 7d mark ii

Nice! I’ve heard it is very good for in flight photos. Just wishing there were more birds here to test it out on.  
They guy who I got the camera from allowed me to test out that lens on it and it definitely made me feel like a birder. Just have to motivate myself to buy it! 

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

Nice! I’ve heard it is very good for in flight photos. Just wishing there were more birds here to test it out on.  
They guy who I got the camera from allowed me to test out that lens on it and it definitely made me feel like a birder. Just have to motivate myself to buy it! 

I'll have to see. I've only really used it with my old body, which was a lower end model from over 10 years ago, so the image quality was never great.

16 hours ago, Aaron said:

I can tell you’re going to get some killer photos with that camera!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Canon 7d mark 2! Thinking I’m going to eventually get the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM Lens, but hoping it goes on sale first...

I had that combination and loved it. The 100-400mm mark 2 is a beautiful lens to work/play with.  I particularly liked the close minimum focus distance of only 3 feet, made it a great lens for frame filling closeups of dragonflies, butterflies, caterpillars, frogs, snakes, and all the other small stuff that you would usually use a macro lens for.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

You’re white egret sp. could be the LBHE. It’s a juvenile so it’s white. 

true, but all i saw was a distant half of awing that was white behind a tree so i had no clue, most likely snowy egret though, i had never seen that many in one day!

oh and i got 16 lifers! at 113 now, knew i would get that 100 before the new year and it is my all time list too because i have only birded since late may!